Hello from central NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from central NC

Hello. Newbie from central NC. I've been wrenching on and riding vintage bikes for awhile now, nothing older than 1970. All kinds for awhile, now just airheads and the occasional brit twin in the garage. Nothing too expensive and all restored to ride. Until I have the money for something older (i.e., my kids get older), I'm here to watch and learn, dream about bikes in the classifieds, and geek out on the old iron.

P.S. - I'm just putting it out there, I'm totally open to adoption if you want to leave me your 30s Scout . Think about it, four new grand-kids instantly, your wife will be so happy she can one-up her friends, she might let you buy another bike.

Welcome TJGreen!

Forgive me, but what's an "Airhead"?

Please post a pic if you can...

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Welcome TJGreen!

Forgive me, but what's an "Airhead"?

Please post a pic if you can...

....Cotten
      "Airhead" is an early BMW air cooled bike.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        "Airhead" is an early BMW air cooled bike.
        I would have rather heard it from TJ, Robbie.

Tried the search engine and came up with nothing, even when I typed in your handle.

Still like to see his bikes...

...Cotten
        PS: So what are "Boxers"?
        AMCA #776

Comment

"PS: So what are "Boxers"?"

A loose style of briefs!

Comment

Originally posted by gitguy View Post
            "PS: So what are "Boxers"?"

A loose style of briefs!
            Those are out of my zodiac, too, Gitguy!

Still want to hear it from TJ; its his thread.

...Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-14-2019, 10:25 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

'Airheads' is also sometimes used to describe ourselves by those of us who ride them. Mostly used for the air-cooled twin-shock bikes sold from 1969-1996. Earlier than that and it's usually called a classic. Boxers are a general term for the opposed-piston motors used in lots of German cars and bikes, i.e. the Porsche boxer.

Here’s a pic of the garage from last year, don’t have a lot of glamour shots of the individual bikes. 71 Commando, 82 R80 g/s, 71 R75/5, and I sold the Transalp at the end and replaced it with an R100 GSPD. There’s usually a project on the lift on the other side too, right now it’s a 99 Speed Triple needing some head work.

EDIT: not sure why they're so tiny or how to make them bigger, sorry.
              EE6BD0A9-E987-437E-93B6-5C102A637CED.jpg
              B92DD752-8797-490C-918F-6E57CE4AF198.jpg
              Last edited by tjgreen; 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Welcome tjgreen,
                Glad to see you here. More and more airheads are turning up on National Road Runs these days, you should try one.

Here is a picture of my '80 R100RS waiting for the ferry from Bar Harbor To Nova Scotia. Us with my wife's VFR in the background.
                Robbie

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Nice. I'll keep an eye out for one in the southeast. I do a few trips every year, 3-5 days on the /5 or the GSPD. If I had the room I'd swap in an RS from Nov-Mar.

Comment

Looks like an incredible ride, Robbie. Sometimes a gruesome looking day can be one of the most beautiful days in our memories.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Welcome TJR. One of the guys I ride with rides a mid-60’s R-70 (or is it R-75?), anyone who will ride with me has good taste
                      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Welcome TJ - I think many of us learned some new terms from your post. Thanks

Cool photo Robbie. Sounds like it was a good trip. Like your bikes.

Mike Love

Comment

welcome aboard

Comment

Hey, TJ Green. I'm in Concord. I don't know how close that is to you, but I do sometimes ride east. I had a BMW a couple of years back. Got scratched.
                            P6100155.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X