Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project for the un-initiated novice and son...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project for the un-initiated novice and son...??

Hello everyone,
    My son (12 years old) & I joined the AMCA at the end of 2018. We have been busy with life in general and have not been able to attend any club meeting...which has left us knowing almost no one within our club or the AMCA community. However, we hope this new year coming will be quite different.
    We are reaching out to everyone here for advice. We are wanting an antique Harley Davidson motorcycle to restore as a rider... this could even be one with a sidecar for us both to enjoy. With that being said, I must mention that we are not expert mechanics, motorcycle builders, nor are we fabricators. We are cattle farmers...who enjoying motorcycling as a way to escape the busy, mindboggling stressors of life. But this time, we'd like to step back into a seemingly simpler era by working on and with a Harley Davidson from yester-year...with an effort to spend more time together and to preserve these absolutely beautiful machines.
    My questions are these:
    Where to start?
    What years should we concentrate our first efforts?
    Is this attainable for us novices?
    Should we start with a basket case? Complete bike that needs TLC? Or????
    Where to find such a bike without making costly mistakes in our purchase?
    Any advisement you can give will excite us both!
    Hope to hear your thoughts and advice soon.
    William Covington & son (Will)
    Member #35521

How much do you want to spend? How much do you think your going to spend? What era bike would you like?
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I think you have a brilliant idea for a father & son endeavor, Will. A Harley for a riding project will make memories that will last forever for you both. Start with a complete bike, late Thirties or Forties EL, FL, UL, or WL, and just keep it running. While riding the hell out of it to meets and old motorcycle events. It will be an adventure and an education for you both.
      Your story of being ranchers reminded me that the Motor Company once always built machines that could be shipped by REA Express to your local rail freight station in a wooden crate. Before the dealer network developed very much. Buyer received it and unpacked it and read a pamphlet on how to start the engine.
      A farm boy used to wrenching on a rudimentary tractor was expected to be able to keep a Harley-Davidson running with a little support. The farm boy learned to use ordinary components to make roadside repairs; for instance, the throttle and spark control cables are common mechanic's wire run through the handlebars. Leading to the old saw that anybody with a little mechanical ability can fix an Old Harley with baling wire, if necessary.
      Buy a complete Old Harley a reputable someone else built, and ride it and maintain it. It can be a father & son education.
      Just running a 1930s or '40s Harley, and ride it.
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
        How much do you want to spend? How much do you think your going to spend? What era bike would you like?
        Hello rwm,
        Not sure how to answer these without getting laughed at...
        Like most, I would like to get into a restoration to ride project as reasonable as possible. I'm not sure that I have a cap on how much I think I'm going to spend because I just dont have enough knowledge about the values to speak of it intelligently...as far as the year, I read a post somewhere that it was suggested that 1st time restorers might need to start with mid 1940's or early 1950's...possibly with a flathead 45 due to the ease(as compared to others) to rebuild and find parts for. This may or may not be true. I truly wish I knew.
        My uninformed guess might be to get into a rider or restore to rider for less than 10k...knowing I might have 10k-15k to put back into it to make a nice rider...but again, I'll need some guidance as to how much it would take to get a project...how much it would take to get it right...and what kind of value it would be worth when finished.
        Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if this helps you...but, I look forward to your advice and any info you can lend.
        Thanks

Comment

Sargehere,
          Many thanks for the advice. I agree that a complete bike would be the better route. Being small scale ranchers, we do tinker with equipment often as most of our equipment is older, more mechanized equipment with little to no electronics...much easier to maintenance as my computer sense seems to be lacking (according to my children).
          I look forward to this journey with my son and hope it's one we can begin together soon.
          Thanks Sarge again for the reply...I've been eager to get this type of encoragement.
          Wm. Covington
          Member #35521

Comment

Gerry,
            Do you have a thought on how much $$ we could get a decent rider for? And, where we might find this new adventure? Do you suggest a sidecar application? Why or why not?
            Wm. Covington
            Member #35521

Comment

WmC1911, maybe before you go out and make a purchase, as you identify projects that capture your interest, post what you find here and continue to receive member's inputs. the right machine is out there, it's just waiting to be found and if you're supposed to have it, you'll find yourself taking it home. just don't let yourself get in a rush, take your time, you'll find the project that suits what you are looking for. the one thing i wold suggest is not looking at what the bike will be worth when you you're finished, in my experience this kills the fun. try looking at it from the standpoint of the memories you've given your son that he'll hold with him when you're gone. none of us are "owner's," we are all caretakers as these machines as they pass through the hands of one generation to the next.
              Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
              https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Well said Steve. Great advice.
                Many thanks!
                Wm. Covington
                Member #35521

Comment

Originally posted by WmC1911 View Post
                  Well said Steve. Great advice.
                  Many thanks!
                  Wm. Covington
                  Member #35521
                  William, probably the first thing is to get clear what your budget will afford and then be prepared to spend more. next, learn about the different model's, price ranges based on condition, completeness, correctness, basket case to complete running bike and in between, and etc. and, it might be helpful to be transparent here with what your budget is to get member's feedback as to what machine is in that $$ range as well as a member here might know of a project to fit your budget. the more work you can do yourself the less your project will cost in the long run. Also, network, "meet" people online, get the word out in as many places as you can to so people know you're looking for something. and if you intend on going to meets, you stand a good chance of finding your project. and there are owner's groups for pretty much every model of motorcycle made, to my knowledge most these groups are facebook all i know much about is 1927 through 1929 JD's, the J's are the same except the J is a 61 cubic inch engine. i have two '27 JD's; the first '27, my initial outlay was $4k, $40k later i ended up with the attached. My 2nd '27, i started out with a lower end for $995, it's a "custom,"put together with parts, repro and original from 1913 to 1929 including Model T headlight and horn and "trick" engine parts, i.e., Truett & Osborn flywheels, Carillo rods, Venolia pistons, a set of George Hood's offset inlet assemblies, electronic ignition, converted 2 brush generator with solid state regulator and more. With my mongrel, i have everything to build a complete bike for just under $20k, but that's my story for what works for me, i'm partial to the J's because my Dad bought a '27 new. if you think you might be interested in a J bike, join JD Facebook, very active and projects come up somewhat often. And with J bikes, repro parts resources are plentiful and less so sourcing original parts, but they are out there. I don't know anything about 45 inch WL bikes, but they are probably about the least expensive and they were still in use until around 1970 i believe, so maybe the least difficult to find parts for and Johnny Sells specializes in the 45's. i don't know anything about sidecars except most likely it's another expense on top of the bike to pull the sidecar around. Whatever you choose, you can make it run down the road even though it may not be all original, but another fun part about a bike you can enjoy running down the road is you can always find original parts to replace the non-original parts if making the bike original is what you decide you want... as folks mentioned, there's pans from 1949-1965, and shovels '66-up. myself, i can't imagine owning a knucklehead, couldn't justify the cost of owning one the way i'd want it, but then there are knuckle "bitsa's"("a bit of this and a bit of that") that probably are not be too expensive.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-10-2019, 11:41 PM.
                  Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                  https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Holy cow Steve,
                    Those are beautiful!!!
                    I've got some serious thinking to do on where I wanna start.
                    Wm. Covington
                    Member #35521

Comment

Two cents worth of opinion coming up, so no hate mail please. Well, you said an American bike at the start so are turning your back on any number of inexpensive Japanese bikes that could be everyday transport. You could even buy one each. On American bikes, the country is full of $3000 ironhead Sportsters which is a lot of bike for the money, well documented, good spares, but unsuitable as a sidecar bike. On the older bikes, Shovelheads are out of favour and running bikes can still be found for sensible money, say under $10,000. Panheads are heavy and I find the kicker models hard to start. Knuckles are out of sight for cost, and the ULs are seen as knucks with the wrong motor, so good original bikes are being sacrificed by people chasing the money. The wartime 45s are getting pricey because we all like a WW2 relic, but they were made in smaller numbers later in the forties and early fifties, so you might find one of those. They will pull a light single person sidecar if needed. Later 1920s J/F models are still out there in decent numbers, and look very antiquey with the i-o-e engine, but I find them hard to restore. For the 1930s the Big Twin flathead VL is my speciality and customers have bought decent running bikes for $15,000. 1930 is the most produced year, and you may find a runner or a restorable basket case/bobber for much less. The early 45s were made in some quantity 1929-31, but these have issues with the vertical generator and the transmission, and would struggle with a sidecar. 1932-40 R and W small twins models would be an option if you find a good one. Indians have a keen following and post war Chiefs are getting affordable again. The wartime 500 cc sidevalves are many people's first American bike, but a 500 pound machine with a small detuned motor is short on performance. My view is that the engineering on Harleys is better than Indians, and a basket case could turn into a money pit. Keep doing the research and look at a lot of bikes locally, in the metal rather than eBay photos. Come to AMCA Meets and talk to the guys. We have the Florida Meet as a warm break, and Oley is an outstanding Meet closer to home. Good engine numbers and a title will always be important factors in a purchase. Good luck, and let's keep having fun with old bikes.

Comment

Many thanks Steve Slocombe. I very much appreciate your experience and input. It's been tough to find anyone locally with any antique motorcycles, but if I expanded my search area... say 90 mile radius... I'd assume that this will provide some leads...
                        Great advice and many thanks for your time to help further educate myself & son...
                        Wm. Covington
                        Member #35521

Comment

Welcome Willam and Will!

Do you have any shop equipment at all?

Tools that make other tools?

You will need them if you go American-made...

....Cotten
                          PS: I miss my 450 Honda and Suzuki 380 so bad...
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            Welcome Willam and Will!

Do you have any shop equipment at all?

Tools that make other tools?

You will need them if you go American-made...

....Cotten
                            PS: I miss my 450 Honda and Suzuki 380 so bad...

T. Cotton,
                            No, we sure dont. Just run of the mill tools...no tools to make additional tools.
                            Wm. Covington
                            Member #35521

Comment

Pleanty of good advise all around Will
                              I think Steve hit it on the head with his comment regarding the AMCA Swap Meets though
                              You don't mention where your located but the Meets are where you can see the largest amount of motorcycles with one journey
                              Plus there's always something available for sale
                              Patience and educating yourself is the key to making a good purchase
                              Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X