No announcement yet.

Indian Chief Right or Left hand shifter preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PaulCDF has a good point: be concerned about what to do in a panic situation. I have two bikes and they have the rear brake pedal and toe shifter switched between the two. Complicating it is the shift pattern is reversed. One bike it's toe down for first and up for the other three. The other bike is toe up for first and down for the other three. I end up upshifting when I should be braking and vice versa. Makes me wonder what I would do in a panic situation... Maybe I need to stick to one bike 'cause my reflexes aren't improving with age.

Comment

I learned to ride on my brother's '47 Chief with LH throttle & RH shift. By the time I bought my '48 Chief, I was so used to having a RH throttle that I got in a small wreck with my "new" Indian's LH throttle. I quickly switched it to right hand, but never got around to moving the shift to the left. One of these days, I'll do that because taking my hand off the throttle to shift is just a bad idea. Leaning across the bike to shift with my left hand is awkward. It does not bother me switching between right side and left side foot shift on bikes, but it is just not safe for me to have a LH throttle.
      George Tinkham
      Springfield, IL
      www.virmc.com
      AMCA # 1494
      1941 Indian 841
      1948 Indian Chief
      1956 H-D KHK
      1960 CH
      1964 BMW R69S
      1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I like my right hand throttle because when I am starting it. The left hand throttles the engine wants to run off. It is easier to idle the bike down with the throttle on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Arley View Post
          I like my right hand throttle because when I am starting it. The left hand throttles the engine wants to run off. It is easier to idle the bike down with the throttle on the right.
          Whatever feels good, Arley!

But the machine shouldn't know the difference to 'run off'.

I'm right-handed, and never had that issue with a left-hand throttle.

Just reflex issues from riding brandx for decades.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            Whatever feels good, Arley!

But the machine shouldn't know the difference to 'run off'.

I'm right-handed, and never had that issue with a left-hand throttle

Just reflex issues from riding brandx for decades.

....Cotten
            I understand I have to kick my bike standing next to it. I haven't been able to start it from being on the bike.

Comment

Right or left hand throttle

I like right hand throttle because my other 4 bikes are that way and it tough to go back and forth between my Indians and Harley. I have also converted my 48 Chief to having first gear back and 2nd and 3rd Forward because that’s how my 41 Indian Four and Knucklehead are laid out.
              I’m a slow learner so I keep it simple.
              Last edited by Joseph Mangelos; 02-03-2020, 12:30 AM.

Comment

That make sense, Arley!

I put my knee on the seat, but still need to work a right-hand advance before the throttle.

"Run off" sounds like a control coil issue.

...Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Last fall, I met Mike Wolfe from the "Pickers", when he saw my '36 Chief Bobber, after the Race of Gentlemen in Santa Barbara, CA. He was visiting Ojai, CA after the race was over, in the late afternoon, with a friend... When he noticed my bike, he pretty much went ape-xxxx drooling all over it. We talked for about 15 minutes at he curb. Then he asked me if he could sit on the bike... I said sure... then, in my over-rated exuberance, and abstract stupidity, I offered to let him start it (I was bragging that it's a one kicker)...
                  He got it started it right away, and while it was idling, I offered (big mistake) to let him ride the bike... as I positioned myself with the front wheel between my legs, holding the handlebars, I told Mike that my Chief was a right hand throttle.
                  He immediately told me how he had ridden alot of old Indians, and that they were left handed... Again, I told him MY bike was a right hand throttle ! Then he twisted the right grip to "advance" the timing, he twisted the throttle to WIDE OPEN !!! holy crap !! I couldn't believe it !
                  Talk about a panic situation... With my hands still on the bars and straddling the front wheel, I immediately YELLED at him and scolded him the throttle is on the right. Timing on the left !! Then I told him that maybe it wasn't such a good idea for him to ride my motorcycle. He was obviously flustered... so was I. I decided to call it off, and took back my offer to ride my bike.
                  I guess I got lucky that day... I can only imagine what it would have been like if I would have had to pick him up from the wreck, down the street a few hundred yards away...

The moral for me... I guess it was a time to live and learn. I'm sure that would have been a very big mistake for both of us.
                  All my bikes are right hand throttle, left hand shift. C2K

Comment

Some years ago my wife and I were in Asheville And were planning to ride over to Maggie Valley and visit Dale whom we hadn't seen in a few years. When we arrived the parking lot was full of modern iron but just as we got off our bikes the doors opened and Dale rode out on his Crocker. He spotted us and after a greeting hug asked me if I wanted to ride it as it sat there idling. How could I refuse? My first question was whether it was Harley or Indian pattern on the controls so as not to make a gaff, so off I went. He turned and looked at my wife as an afterthought and asked her "he can ride it right?", and she just laughed and said I'd be fine. Only Crocker I've ever ridden! Thanks Dale.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
                      I can only imagine what it would have been like if I would have had to pick him up from the wreck, down the street a few hundred yards away...
                      Whew... but at least you wouldn't have had to walk very far after riding backwards, hanging on for dear life to the handlebars straddling the front wheel... that could have been disastrous to your health!
                      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Robbie, same thing happened to me. I was in the museum looking at the Crocker and Dale walked up and asked, "want to ride it?" Of course I said yes. He brought it out and I handed him my camera and I took a couple of laps around the parking lot. He took some pictures of me riding it. Made my day. A Crocker is like that hot cheerleader you knew in high school. You would like to ride it but know you can't afford it. About 20 years ago a friend of mine bought a Crocker for 27.5K. I said "are you crazy"? He sold it for 75K. Crazy, huh?
                        Dave

Comment

Me too, except I went for a 1 hour ride on it.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by indian301 View Post
                            Me too, except I went for a 1 hour ride on it.

Dave
                            Show off!
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I owned, and regularly rode my '40 Chief, and '51FL over a number of years. The Chief was left throttle/right shift and wasn't a problem going from H-D to Indian (I recall liking Indian's configuration more). However, I could not accustom myself to the Indian clutch (heel down to go). I turned the actuating lever down and made it like a Harley. I tried to get used to the Indian clutch, but even under zero stress conditions, it wasn't second nature. . . . Can't have that with a clutch
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

I have been riding my 1953 Chief occasionally the last 5 years and have to really concentrate when using the clutch. I tried reversing it to be the same as my Harley but the compensator sprocket bulge on the primary will not allow it. I guess I don't ride it enough for it to come second nature. The right hand throttle does not bother me. My regular Indian 4 rider is left throttle.
                                Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X