Indian Chief Right or Left hand shifter preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Chief Right or Left hand shifter preference

I happened to be reading the post by Lipdog, on changing the throttle, back to the left side, on his Indian; and I had a burning question!

Concerning the later Indian Chiefs; what do riders/collectors, of today prefer on the gear shifter, left or right? I have had and still have Chiefs with Indian controls, Left shifter and Right throttle, opposed to Harley controlled, Left shifter and right throttle. I have seen just about any mix of the the two systems too. Honestly, I prefer to have the shifter on the opposite side of the throttle; just seems better. As to the standard Indian control or Harley; I don't really care. I ride them both.

1. But what do other riders like?

2. Selling a bike may make a difference, I don't know.

3. Judging a bike, I suppose it it might, does it?

4. Does one way or another hurt or increase the bikes marketability and price?

If any of you have any thoughts, give us a shout out here.

bjind

I live in a hilly area, so having the throttle on the right side with a left foot clutch and right hand brake makes it hard to start on hills. I want to be able to hold the hand brake while working the throttle and clutch, so a left throttle works better for me. From a collectibility standpoint I don’t think it makes a difference, though having the most common original configuration can’t be a bad thing.

Comment

I personally like my old Indians to be left side throttle, right side shifter, right side spark advance. That’s how my ‘41 Chief is set up. I don’t have any logical reason why, it just seems right. Either way, I agree with what you said about the shifter being opposite the throttle. Some years the single speed Hedstrom Indians had the throttle and the clutch both operated with the left hand, but in reality I think people end up reaching across the tank and operating the clutch with their right hand. The old PowerPlus Indians have a clutch that can be operated with your left foot or your right hand, which sounds odd, but I’ve ridden quite a few miles on one and once you get used to it, it makes great sense and works really well. As far as judging, I suppose it would matter but I don’t really know. Has far as value and marketability, I don’t think it should make too much difference on something like a Chief, because it’s pretty easy to change the clutch and throttle from one side to the other.

Kevin

Kevin
      https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

With LH throttle, RH shift and a foot clutch you’re less likely to have people bug you about wanting to ride your Indian! :-)
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

i like right throttle like my modern harley.Muscle memory,or lack of ,gets confusing sometimes on my left throttle bike.
          BTW I like the brake and gas on the same side ,opposite shifter,as its the only hand that never leaves the handlebars.With some practice holding the brake and giving it some gas to go is better with one hand ,at least for me.I think trying to hold the bike with the front brake while disengaging the clutch and shifting to first would be difficult with the brake on the shifter side.
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
            ....I think trying to hold the bike with the front brake while disengaging the clutch and shifting to first would be difficult with the brake on the shifter side....
            You got it right, Tom!

Why factories did that is a mystery for the ages.

They expected you to never come to a stop sign going up-hill.

....Cotten
            PS: I was required to ride both left and right-hand shifts, after 'growing up' lefty.
            The only way I survived right-hand shifts was to keep my hand on the knob.

It works.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by bjind View Post

If any of you have any thoughts, give us a shout out here...
              Sorry for a late direct reply to your questions, Bjind!

What other riders like is irrelevant; You like what you like.

Questions two and four hinge a little on question three, if you want to ante up.

But relax, both the MOCO and the Wigwam made their machines both lefty and righty.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-09-2019, 01:48 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

I prefer RH throttle reason; after all these years with RH throttle in a panic situation one will do what one has always done.
                Kept shift on the Right as I am not "speed shifting"; throttles freedom from a return spring allows me to briefly set my revs and make my shift then return to throttle
                Probably would negatively effect value (IF I were selling. I am not thank you very much) Probably would effect Judging but I figure bike is worth more and would be judged higher
                if I can avoid a crash. Safety first.

Comment

I have been riding right hand throttle since my 48 Cushman in 1958. I don't think I could change to left hand throttle at 77. My Indians are left hand shift also. I have a 61 Triumph TR5AC that I ride also, with the brake on the left. In a quick stop I sometimes stomp on the shift lever down, thinking I am on my Indian. Doing things the same for a long time, I find It gets hard to change as I get older. Stan

Comment

Originally posted by bjind View Post
                    I happened to be reading the post by Lipdog, on changing the throttle, back to the left side, on his Indian; and I had a burning question!

Concerning the later Indian Chiefs; what do riders/collectors, of today prefer on the gear shifter, left or right? I have had and still have Chiefs with Indian controls, Left shifter and Right throttle, opposed to Harley controlled, Left shifter and right throttle. I have seen just about any mix of the the two systems too. Honestly, I prefer to have the shifter on the opposite side of the throttle; just seems better. As to the standard Indian control or Harley; I don't really care. I ride them both.

If any of you have any thoughts, give us a shout out here.

bjind
                    1. Right hand throttle. That's what I grew up on. If my bike had been left throttle when I got it, I'd have "left" it that way (no pun intended)
                    2. Doubt it will make any difference selling.
                    3. I want to say no problem for judging either way.....but not sure as I've never heard it discussed. Pretty sure they could have been delivered either way back in the day but I don't know if factory would set them up for right throttle or converted at dealer. I thought they could be ordered right throttle from factory. I'm sure someone else will know for certain
                    4. Never saw any evidence that it will affect price either way

Harry makes a good point though! I have been offered to ride left throttle Indians but declined because I was not used to it and didn't want to risk looking like a fool!
                    Last edited by Skirted; 11-11-2019, 06:32 AM.
                    Jason Zerbini
                    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Thank you, for all that added to the forum on this, survey or polling.

It seems that personal preference, may be the driving factor on this question. Oh, yes, other factors enter into it also.

I do hear comments, or observe people; looking at my 1948 Indian Chief, that is Left shifter and Right throttle. The usual comment is, "oh it is Harley controlled" or "somebody changed this bike". I guess they don't know, that Indian, in that era, would build and sell a bike like that, if the buyer requested it. Though the preference is so called Indian Controlled, Right shifter, Left throttle.

When I ride my 1946 Chief, Right shifter and Left throttle; No one has any comment on the location of the shifter.

On any combination other than the previous two (2), would make a hard to ride bike; only in my opinion. Again people will do what ever suits them.

bjind

Comment

Sometimes, Bjind,..

You just let the sidewalk experts talk to themselves.

....Cotten
                        PS: I've got plenty more 'snagged' pics of lefty Indians.
                        What's rare is HD pics with the righty shift,
                        Perhaps there were more defectors from HD to Indian than vice-versa?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-12-2019, 01:22 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

"You just let the sidewalk experts talk to themselves"

...Cotten

Well Said, Cotten

bjind

Comment

[QUOTE=bjind;185365]"You just let the sidewalk experts talk to themselves"

...Cotten

Well Said, Cotton

I had a great one. Young guy, maybe late 20s early 30s, pulls up on a loud as you know what sportster. Looks at my 440. Is that a shovelhead??? Got mad at me when I laughed and I asked how old he was.
                            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Folks,...

I said "sometimes".

And there's a difference between a sidewalk commando who tells you all about your machine,
                              ("Chevy valves in a Panhead" was one of my favorites)
                              ..And somebody new and in awe, with an honest question.

Only my questions are stupid ones.

...Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-14-2019, 04:29 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X