54 - 57 Handlebar grip sleeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 - 57 Handlebar grip sleeves

I just installed the throttle and spark control cables into the handlebars on a 57 Panhead and connected them to the timer and carb. Both work smoothly however the spark control is backwards. When I turn the grip towards me it retards the spark. In other words both the throttle and the spark are push type (the inner cable extends when you turn the grips toward you. It seems I need a pull type for the spark control however the parts book only list a single part number for both sleeves (56220-53).

This is a friends bike I'm putting together from a basket. Perhaps I got wrong parts. I didn't remove the rubber grips from the sleeves so who knows but everything went together easily. Anyway I'm having one of those days where nothing is going right so while I'll probably be embarrassed when you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong right now I'm going to sit down a drink a beer or two.

Steve Slaminko

Steve you have two different spirals right now. You need to get another one like your throttle. It is hard to picture in your head but remember, the same spiral that pushes when used on one side will pull when you put it on the opposite side. Got it?

Comment

It might take more than 2 beers.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can locate another sleeve.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

The grip sleeves from the late '53 up bars are used into the '70s. There are two types, right and left handed spirals. Lightweights (125, 165, etc) used push throttles. Left hand throttle Servi-Cars also used those reversed spirals. And so did Bendix equipped twins. So they get into the mix on a regular basis. As dustydog says, they need to be the same twist when looking at the bar end.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie.

Comment

Working...
            X