Mounting a long frame sidecar to a 47 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a long frame sidecar to a 47 Chief

Anyone have a military (long frame) sidecar mounted to a 47 or later chief? I seam to be having trouble finding out what is needed on the front mount. Thanks Stan

Stan, you need the long frame front mount like the one on the bottom of this attached pic.DSC01042.jpg. rayv95@aol.com

Comment

Stan, I once had a military chassis with the sidecar I had for my '48 Chief. I had a repaired front mount as pictured above and there was an angled groove or dimple on the front face to accommodate the front safety bar, so it could remain on the motorcycle frame when sidecar was attached. This groove looked like it was made this way and I do not know if all were like this.
      I also used a spacer bushing 5/8" in length between the lower rear mount and motorcycle frame for toe-in. As I recall, I had the motorcycle leaning away from chassis 3 degrees (from vertical) which is more applicable to crowned 2-lane roads. I had the accessory "rear brake equalizer" and adjusted so that side car brake engaged just slightly before motorcycle rear brake. John

Comment

I haven't heard of the military long frame before , can you give more details about this , Rob

Comment

Per Indian ref: Mil long frame is the 1940-1945 Indian mfg long frame around 39 3/4" between the two mounting centers. After that they came out with the short frame about 37 7/16". No tolerance given on dim. Ray

Comment

well there you go cheers

Comment

Working...
            X