Do Knuckleheads have ignition keys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Knuckleheads have ignition keys?

I just bought a 47 Knucklehead that had been on display for about 20 years and they were confident that it did not have a ignition key. I looked it over and could not find a place for the key, just a turn type switch below the speedometer. Am I missing something? This weekend I’m going to try and start it for the first time in 20 plus years. The bike was restored/rebuilt, driven 3 miles then put on display after the fluids were drained. I bought the bike as is and cosmetically it’s beautiful and the engine turns over nicely but I have yet to try and start it. If anyone has some helpful hints on starting a bike that hasn’t been run for two decades I would welcome them.
    Thank you
    Joe

Should be a cover or lid on the ignition switch (turn type switch) key hole is under there. If not there, the ignition switch is not original. Carry on.

Comment

If the switch will turn to the right from the straight up position it has been unlocked with it's key and the key removed. First position to the right is the starting position (ignition), the second is ignition and lights. To the left of the straight up position is the parking lights (fender and taillight). If there is a number on the face of the place where the key goes in you can have one made to that code. If there isn't it could be reproduction. I hope this helps. Rich
      DrSprocket

Comment

Thank you both, I’m going to check it out tonight.

Comment

Next to the keyhole should be a number. A locksmith can cut you a key using that number. It used a Briggs & Stratton key blank. If there is no number it is either a Panhead or aftermarket switch.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thank you, and you are correct it has a number.

Comment

I have 2 Knuckles, neither had keys. Bart at Old Dude in Georgia has several keys and found the right ones for both. call him, he may have an original for you!

Comment

Working...
              X