XLCH Primary covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLCH Primary covers

I’ve noticed 2 different types of tin primary covers, a one piece cover and a cover with a separate clutch dome presumably spot welded to the cover. I have heard of two piece early covers but I thought these were generally black. Both of my covers are chrome. Can someone please explain the different covers from the late 50s through the late 60s. Thank you.

Otis, keep in mind that people that bought these bikes were ripping parts off of them before they were out of the dealers lot. My 65 XLCH was the hardest restore I ever had because I couldn't find one intacked anywhere to go by. The real hard stuff was finishes as everything was chrome. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I have only had my mitts on tin covers from 59-64; all were black.

As for the two or one piece; the two piece were apparently found mostly on flat track models. The "rumor" is that they were reinforced for this purpose to ward off crash damage from the bike landing on its left side. I personally have only seen photos of the two piece cover . . .

I am not sure when chrome covers became available, though I've seen a couple of original paint 64s that had black covers and two original paint 66s that had chrome covers. I haven't seen an original paint 65 . . . so take that as you will.

I currently have a nice chrome cover for my 64CH -- it's going out to be coated black. I personally like the black better and am not building the bike for judging.

Comment

I think the chrome came around 65 or there about. Knowing the finish could be changed after leaving the factory, my main question was about the 2 piece cover. Wonder if it’s a more desirable part? I agree with you. Black looks better than chrome on a lot of things.

Comment

According to the parts book, the chrome cover started in 64. Practically everyone I knew back in the early 70s in the Chicagoland area had a chrome cover. Almost all had extended forks and a goofy seat, too.
          VPH-D

Comment

I don't think the double cover is a more desirable part -- unless you are specifically restoring a flat-track model on which it was found. Otherwise, I can't say as I've ever seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
              According to the parts book, the chrome cover started in 64. Practically everyone I knew back in the early 70s in the Chicagoland area had a chrome cover. Almost all had extended forks and a goofy seat, too.
              VPH-D
              THANKS! I actually had been wondering about '64 . . . and I popped open my 65 parts book to discover that both were available:
              34949-58 = black
              34949-64 = chrome

Hmm, now I gotta debate how much I like black over chrome. The chrome cover I have for the 64CH is extremely nice. I may just have to run it a season and then decide.

Don't know why I didn't think to look in the darn parts book for this one. I kinda feel silly now.

Comment

My 64 had a 2 piece chrome cover that has some damage. I still have it and always thought that it was the original one. I have owned it for about 25 years. The owner before me that I know well had it for around 10 years. He purchased it from the original owner after it sat for 12 years. It is very original with a spray can repaint from the original owner.
                Jim D

Comment

Working...
                X