Oil Pressure Light wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Light wiring

I am wiring my 1971 FLH and need help with the oil dash light . The diagram has the yellow wire coming from the harness to the light socket ( 43 ) . Then there is an orange wire coming from the light socket to the switch ( 15 ) . The old harness has the orange wire attached to the base of the socket , thus grounding it ?? Doesn't seem right , but what do I know , HELP . Thanks , MIke
    Attached Files

Mike,
    There is a rubber grommet in the instrument base that this light fitting goes into. Pt no 11430 I think.
    This insulated the fitting from earth. The orange wire goes to the ignition switch and the yellow to your oil pressure switch.

Comment

Thank you aumick10 ,
      So if I understand you, the socket is insulated from the steel dash plate with a rubber grommet . Then the orange ( hot ) wire goes from the switch to solid mount to the socket casing . The yellow wire comes from the oil switch ( which is normally open ) to the middle of the socket . So when there is no oil pressure the circuit is closed & the light goes on ??
      The old socket was crushed so I replaced it with a regular socket . I guess that won't work . I looked online for 71161-70 , no luck . Would 71166-73 work ( on a '71 ) ?

Comment

Here is a VERY basic pic. of what I'm getting at
        Attached Files

Comment

It has been a while since I have done any work on any FLH, but it is possible the 71166-73 would fit.
          I am starting to remember that some of these light fittings were actually riveted to the instrument base plate. A fibre washer top and bottom and the body was peened over to hold it all together.

Someone more familiar might comment on this one.
          Last edited by aumick10; 10-25-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I think that was wrong . The oil pressure switch is normally closed , which completes the circuit . Then when there is pressure the switch is open and the light goes off . Sorry I'm dumber than a mud ball on electrics !!!

Comment

Do you have a picture of the top of the light you have and the instrument base?

Comment

It is just a regular socket , staked to the dash base . I'm going to take it out & replace it with a 71162-70, if I can find one . That number is in my 1990 parts catalog for softails . I'll call some Harley shops . Thank you for all your help !
                On further research the 71162-70 is just a regular socket ( what I have in there now ) . I'll be searching for a 71161-70 .
                Last edited by 1970 XLCH; 10-26-2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X