Linkert model question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert model question

The carb that came on my ‘31 Excelsior Super X is not correct...it is a Linkert stamped M9. It has a bean pot style bowl. That model number doesn’t come up when I did a quick search of the ‘net and my carb books. Can anyone assist with identification? See attached stamping...it may not be original! I will get some better pictures once the carb is removed. I am looking for the correct DLX68 if you have any leads....

Thanks in advance-

Chris
    AMCA #1056
    D680783C-F4D9-4D2A-A1D1-3F6429D93BAF.jpgD680783C-F4D9-4D2A-A1D1-3F6429D93BAF.jpg

I think that the M9 is in the same category as the M6, M7 and M8. These carburetors and maybe others were replacements made by Linkert for Schebler equipped motorcycles after Schebler went out of business. So accordingly they have no correct application.

Jerry

Originally posted by C.Flint View Post
    The carb that came on my ‘31 Excelsior Super X is not correct...it is a Linkert stamped M9. It has a bean pot style bowl. That model number doesn’t come up when I did a quick search of the ‘net and my carb books. Can anyone assist with identification? See attached stamping...it may not be original! I will get some better pictures once the carb is removed. I am looking for the correct DLX68 if you have any leads....

Thanks in advance-

Chris
    AMCA #1056
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]26181[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26181[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 10-23-2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

The M9 is not mentioned here, however this was the first year of Linkert availability, so an M9 could have been introduced to fit other models and brands.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Can you get a decent pic of the stamp, Chris?

The "Beck" replacement carbs had INDIAN stamped above or below the model stamp.

"Beanpots" were 1940 Schebler production only.

....Cotten
        PS: I have pics of M6, M6C, and M7H without the INDIAN stamp. One L&L catalog lists "standard" 1" and 1¼" complete carburetors as generic replacements (plus the MR).
        It is anybody's guess what was stamped upon them.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-24-2019, 09:07 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Those pot metal Scheblers are fragile and expensive compared to the later Linkerts. If you're not putting the bike in for judging, I'd stay with what you've got. I have the same problem with my '29 KJ which was originally fitted with the Schebler DLX 76 but runs just fine on a Linkert M18 with an adapter plate.

Comment

Was lucky at Oley to find a Schebler DLX70 for my 1930 KJ. Could never seem to get it dialed in so went back to the Linkert M9 and it runs perfectly. I would also like to find out what the M9 was used on.
            Dave

Comment

Sorry, I can't help with the original question, but what throttle disc and venturi diameter is the M9?
              The Linkert Book

Comment

I would also like to find out what the M9 was used on.
                I doubt it was "used on" any particular model, but was merely a generic replacement that could be fitted on anything. It may have been suggested for something but never was original to it. Even the carbs listed in the above H-D catalog were never fitted on the bikes they were used to replace the Schebler on. Even the part numbers which allude to introduction dates were made up just to show retro-fit capability, not original fitment.
                Last edited by Rubone; 10-25-2019, 08:24 AM.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                  Those pot metal Scheblers are fragile and expensive compared to the later Linkerts. If you're not putting the bike in for judging, I'd stay with what you've got. I have the same problem with my '29 KJ which was originally fitted with the Schebler DLX 76 but runs just fine on a Linkert M18 with an adapter plate.
                  The DLX68 is bronze, Steve!

Got one on the bench.

So was the DLX70, and quite manageable.
                  (The DLX76 was produced both in bronze and potmetal!)

....Cotten
                  PS: Anybody got a decent carb listing for Hens?
                  Its hard to believe the DLX70 was produced after the DLX76.
                  Thanks in advance...
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-25-2019, 12:09 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for comments. As promised, here are better photos.2B2404E0-A8B9-4EFC-8991-A99EF0071433.jpg823C4779-9950-49B6-BF23-5BA7C069D94B.jpg

Comment

Can't see the stamp, Chris!

Does the "M" have serifs?

We do see that it is a pre-War 1" Model, with a 2(52)8 body.

Its the first I've recorded.

....Cotten
                      PS: Can you tell if its a two-screw or four-screw intake flange?
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-27-2019, 10:06 AM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Four lines of casting on the left side makes the Linkert M9 body after 1940, and I've always taken the numbers on the right side to be casting or design dates, so 52 will be really late.

Thanks for the info on the DLX 76 Tom, and I'll start looking for a bronze one.

Comment

Four lines of casting on the left side makes the Linkert M9 body after 1940, and I've always taken the numbers on the right side to be casting or design dates, so 52 will be really late.

Thanks for the info on the DLX 76 Tom, and I'll start looking for a bronze one.
                          Thanks for correcting me on the three-line/four-line thing, Steve!

(Confusion gets easier and easier for me.)

I have one of each (at least) on the bench right now, all with 2(53)8 casting numbers.

So it cannot be a date.

.....Cotten
                          PS: Can anybody post a pic of a two-screw 1" Model Linkert?

They had to exist, right?

PPS: Here's my only pic of a bronze 76, Steve!

Not only had a sage witness at D-port confirmed bronze 76s, I have held one in my hand.
                          (Hell, I might have serviced one, who knows?)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-27-2019, 03:49 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Nice piece Tom, thanks for the picture. And I was backwards - four lines of script on the left side is pre-1940 and three lines after, so 53 on the right is unlikely to be a casting date. On the early inch and a quarter Linkerts I see 32 and 33 stamped on the right hand side of the M2, M21 and M31 for 1932-35, then 34 stamped then later cast for the four bolt 1936 air cleaner, then the M74B has 2-418 cast which I've assumed is 1941 for the first year 1 1/2 inch unit design. That makes the 53 a real puzzler on the M9, although no nickel plating suggests it is pretty late. And I agree that symmetry demands a one inch, two bolt Linkert, which I would also like to see.

Comment

Nice piece Tom, thanks for the picture. And I was backwards - four lines of script on the left side is pre-1940 and three lines after, so 53 on the right is unlikely to be a casting date. On the early inch and a quarter Linkerts I see 32 and 33 stamped on the right hand side of the M2, M21 and M31 for 1932-35, then 34 stamped then later cast for the four bolt 1936 air cleaner, then the M74B has 2-418 cast which I've assumed is 1941 for the first year 1 1/2 inch unit design. That makes the 53 a real puzzler on the M9, although no nickel plating suggests it is pretty late. And I agree that symmetry demands a one inch, two bolt Linkert, which I would also like to see.
                              I just look at the script, Steve!

Langsenkamp Linkert early; L&L late.

Lack of nickel probably just means its been molested over the decades, along with the chokelever, and the bowl looks too smooth.
                              I can't really tell anything from the pics, and we won't know the disc degree (probably eleven), or venturi (7/8" or 13/16"), or nozzle (M8SA had a bonne!) without an autopsy.

Meanwhile, if we can fill out this chart, and Mr. Palmer's, History will look kindly upon us.

L&L BODY CASTINGS:

(The parenthesis indicate stamped numbers; Most post-War 1¼" Models had 348 cast numbers, including Indian models.)

1" Models

M16, 18.............................2(53)8
                              M7...................................2(__)8; 2(53 1)8 (Beck)
                              M9...................................2(52)8
                              M741................................2(55)8
                              M8SA................................2(56)8 (Beck)
                              M841L & R........................2(132)8 & 2(133)8

1¼" Models

M6, 21...............................2-3(2)8
                              most pre '40........................2-3(3)8
                              M5 two screw, .....................2-3(4) plus a glob
                              M5 four screw, .....................2-3(4)8; 2-348
                              M54.................................2-3348
                              M88...................................2-348(1)
                              most post '40.......................2-348

MR2.................................10(3)8
                              MR4.................................MR4

1½" Models

M25, 75.............................2-378
                              M35.................................2-378, 2-388
                              M35T................................2-388
                              M35TP, 36, 45A......................2-398
                              M61.................................2-398, 2-408
                              M74.................................2-398, 2-408
                              M53, 53A........................ ...2-418
                              M74B............................... 2-418 three varieties at least

Courtesy Bruce Palmer III:

LS# in the below chart is the stamped-in number found just below the low speed needle pivot hole. The AC# is the stamped-in number on the air cleaner flange along the power side of the carburetor. V? refers to whether or not the body is vented. Ls refers to whether it is a four line “Langsenkamp-Linkerts” or a three line “L&L” body. ACH refers to the number of air cleaner mounting hole. Note refers to additional information.

Model.....Body #.....LS#.....AC#.....V?.....Ls.....ACH.....note
                              M-21......2-328.........1.........3........Y.......4........2. ........a
                              M-41......2-338.........2.........2........Y.......4........4. ........b
                              M-41......2-338.........3.........8........Y.......4........4. ........b
                              M-41L.....2-348.........2.........?........Y.......3........4.
                              M-51......2-348.........1.........1........Y.......3........4.
                              M-51......2-348.........2.........2........Y.......3........4.
                              M-51......2-348.........2.........3........Y.......3........4.
                              M-54......2-348.........2.........2........Y.......3........4.
                              M-54B.....2-3481......1.........1........N.......3........4... ......c
                              M-58......2-348.........3.........8........Y.......3........4.
                              M-64......2-348.........1.........1........Y.......3........4.
                              M-88......2-3481.......2.........2........N.......3........4.. .......c
                              M-88......2-3481.......2.........2........N.......3........4.. .......c
                              M-90......2-348.........2.........2........N.......3........4. ........d

a = the 2 in the 328 portion of the body number is stamped-in.
                              b = the 3 in the 328 portion of the body number is stamped-in.
                              c = the 1 in the 3481 portion of the body number is stamped-in.
                              d = yes I know this one is for an OHV, it is here for comparison.

....Cotten
                              PS: Every re-nickeled carb that has crossed my benches was macro-molested: Insult after injury.
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-28-2019, 04:18 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X