1974 BMW R90 Critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 BMW R90 Critique

I am looking for a correct original bike that I can enter into AMCA judging that hasn't got a lot of major faults but I know zero about BM's. I was hoping that I could get some feedback on the attached photos and some guidance as to what I should be looking for. I have also posted photos of A BMW R75/5 on a separate thread for similar feedback.

BMW R 90 6 A.JPG

BMW R 90 6 B.JPG

BMW R 90 6 C.JPG

BMW R 90 6 D.JPG

Would be interested in a comparison as to the preference of someone who has knowledge of both models as to which would be the better touring bike.

Hope that someone can help.

downunder vl

I have both a 1971 R75/5 and a 1975 R90/6. The /6 is more powerful and more stable than the short-wheelbase /5. the /5 engine is smoother running than the /6. I bought the /6 new. From the factory the front forks on both bikes were spongy and needed to be upgrad to be more stable. I've toured most of the US on the R90/6. It has never failed to get me home. From new I've rebillt the top end twice, replaced the starter, replced the timing chain and gone through three clutches. That's it.
    Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Ted, I think what VL is trying to determine is if the bike(s) he is looking at look correct. He wants to make sure he is buying a bike suitable for AMCA judging. Do you see anything that look incorrect? I know its hard to tell just from photos but more than anything he just wants to make sure all the major components are correct. Thanks for your input Ted.

Comment

Mufflers are aftermarket, plug wires, shocks.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Keith,

The R90/6 is a good looking bike. Overall the bike looks correct. Without more detailed pictures I can't tell much more than the bike has been nicely restored and should score well in AMCA judging.
          VL asked which bike would be good for touring. While I prefer the R90/6 for long trips, properly prepared both bikes are good tourers.

Comment

Dunno if you're still looking for answers, but I agree with Ted - bike looks good. If pipes are aftermarket, they're very good copies. 74 is tricky because it was first-year, this one looks like it has the right aluminum turn signals and 13-rib boots and kick-start lever gearbox. Does it still have the tire pump (inside rear subframe) and under-seat tools/tool box? On any mid-70s disc brake airhead, pull the tank and check the under-tank m/c for leakage - they mostly do, and they drip corrosive brake fluid on your frame and top engine cover. Also, don't use the kick starter on the 5 speed gearbox, they're a known weak point. Same for the kill switch.

I prefer my SWB /5 with the 4-speed gearbox for sport touring. I put a Siebenrock 1000cc kit on, and it's now faster and more fun than my /6 was. But it's buzzier at highway speed for sure, the /6 with a taller 5th has longer legs. Either one will happily cruise at 75mph for hours though.

Comment

Working...
            X