Trade 41-46 Knuckle Tanks For 36-39 Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade 41-46 Knuckle Tanks For 36-39 Tanks

I have a good set of 41-46 Knuckle gas tanks that I am looking to trade for 36-39 Knuckle tanks. They are sprayed over with old primer and a have few small patches of surface bondo, but solid with mostly just some surface rust. There is one very small rust hole in center right side of right tank. Bottoms seem very sound. Mounts, caps areas and threads are very good. I am piecing together a 39 from mostly original parts and I’d like to have the correct year tanks. Additional pics available. I’m located in south central PA. PM me if interested. Bob
    Attached Files

those look like great tanks, but the current value of 36-39 knuckle tanks are about triple that of 40 or 41-46 tanks.

Comment

I’d be open to throwing in some cash to make a trade work.

Comment

Bob,
        If you fix the pinhole and pressure test them, that could go a long way for a trade. My concern would be there is more rust damage and the metal around it is compromised and could turn into a money pit.
        Just trying to help is all and not wanting to offend your ad.
        AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
          Bob,
          If you fix the pinhole and pressure test them, that could go a long way for a trade..
          Don't hook up a compressor, Holeshotbob!

Just cork them up tight and immerse them in a hot tub of water.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            Don't hook up a compressor, Holeshotbob!

Just cork them up tight and immerse them in a hot tub of water.

....Cotten
            Guess I should have said "Leak test".
            AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
              Guess I should have said "Leak test".
              I pressure-tested an oiltank once, Len!

Suddenly the battery wouldn't fit.

A hard lesson....

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Does anyone have thoughts on me having these 41-46 tanks converted to correct style 39 tanks? Wondering if I go so far as to engaging someone to fix them, should I just have them changed at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Holeshotbob View Post
                  Does anyone have thoughts on me having these 41-46 tanks converted to correct style 39 tanks? Wondering if I go so far as to engaging someone to fix them, should I just have them changed at the same time?
                  That is the dumbest idea yet. Ruin a nice set of tanks to make a fake set! If you are wanting to modify something buy a cheap set of reproduction tanks and modify them to work until you find a correct set.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Does anyone have thoughts on me having these 41-46 tanks converted to correct style 39 tanks?
                    Both fittings differ, there is indentation and hole in left tank for fuel shut off.
                    If you do the work yourself, possibly, still backyard engineering.
                    Two sets sold on ebay recently, $3500, $4000, if you glass bead so they look nice.
                    The gap between early and late tanks has narrowed to almost even.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                      That is the dumbest idea yet. Ruin a nice set of tanks to make a fake set! If you are wanting to modify something buy a cheap set of reproduction tanks and modify them to work until you find a correct set.
                      Wow. It was just a question. I regret asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                        Originally posted by Holeshotbob View Post
                        Wow. It was just a question. I regret asking.
                        It was a natural question, Holeshotbob,...

If this is all new to you.

Rule number one is do no harm.

History will never forgive you, and your hardware won't be worth as much either.

....Cotten
                        PS: "Harm" is like modern nickel plating on carburetors.
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-20-2019, 04:15 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks, Cotten. I get it about not messing with them. I sort of felt that not changing them was the right answer, just wanted some other advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X