1949 Harley WL - Rear Wheel Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Harley WL - Rear Wheel Work

In my effort to have my Speedometer Drive Gear NOT get chewed up anymore....

I plan to remove the rear wheel to:
    A) Examine the fit & shape of the Gear that lives on the Hub and meshes with the Speedo Drive Gears plastic OR brass gear
    B) Check to see how the rear bearings are and IF the wheel is cocked off center at all

Anyone have a list of potential bearings and such I should purchase ahead of the job?
    (Might as well replace bearing if disassembling it all, I figure)

Thanks!
    Matt Allyn
    1932 Ford Roadster / 1949 Mercury Coupe / 1949 Harley Davidson 45 / 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible / 1957 Lincoln Premiere Convertible / 1959 Lambretta TV175 / 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Convertible / 1962 Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon / 1962 Chrysler 300H / 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport / 1964 International Travelall / 2015 Tesla Model S

I would not order bearings until I knew what I needed. Take it apart and mike up the races checking for egg shape and taper and then do the same with the inner sleeve and order the appropriate parts. Sometimes if everything is good you can even reuse the rollers.

Jerry

Originally posted by 1962300 View Post
    In my effort to have my Speedometer Drive Gear NOT get chewed up anymore....

I plan to remove the rear wheel to:
    A) Examine the fit & shape of the Gear that lives on the Hub and meshes with the Speedo Drive Gears plastic OR brass gear
    B) Check to see how the rear bearings are and IF the wheel is cocked off center at all

Anyone have a list of potential bearings and such I should purchase ahead of the job?
    (Might as well replace bearing if disassembling it all, I figure)

Thanks!

Comment

Good thoughts. Any suggestions on a vendor for whatever might be needed?
      Matt Allyn
      1932 Ford Roadster / 1949 Mercury Coupe / 1949 Harley Davidson 45 / 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible / 1957 Lincoln Premiere Convertible / 1959 Lambretta TV175 / 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Convertible / 1962 Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon / 1962 Chrysler 300H / 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport / 1964 International Travelall / 2015 Tesla Model S

Comment

If you do not have any local dealers you can order from a number of businesses. The one I use is Kick Start in Wyoming Michigan 616 245-8991. He has a really nice catalog that also includes pertinent information to panhead and earlier motorcycles. He is a one man band and is not on the internet. Be warned Chuck can be opinionated.

Jerry

Originally posted by 1962300 View Post
        Good thoughts. Any suggestions on a vendor for whatever might be needed?

Comment

Chuck will tell you to run the speedometer without an inner drive. " What do you need a speedometer for anyway".
          AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
          X