Throttle cable routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle cable routing

Hi Guys, another question on my 1971 FLH . I need help routing my internal throttle cable from the handlebars to the frame neck where I think it goes thru the bracket ( see pic ) then to the frame tab under the tank . Then I'm not sure where it goes . There is a tapped hole in the top motor mount maybe there ? I can't find any bracket in my parts catalog for final mounting near the carb ( bendix ) . I see one for 1972 , but what they did in '71 I don't know, I need help . Pictures would be appreciated . Thanks, Mike
    Attached Files

IIRC, the cable is held near the carb by the air cleaner support bracket. The bracket bolts to the underside of the rocker box, and to the backside of the air cleaner back plate, and uses a 9957 type clamp to hold the cable.
    VPH-D

Comment

051.jpg
      Thank you , VPH-D I mocked it up and the bracket I got with the bike looks like it has a mount for just the choke . Do I have the wrong bracket ?

Comment

You have the correct bracket, my memory was wrong. The -76 parts book shows a 9957 clip and 5915B spacer on page 116, with the comment 71 and later throttle beneath tank.
        VPH-D

Comment

Thank you for your help VHP-D , I have found all the clamps & guessing on the spacer , but I'm still stumped . I don't know the routing of the cable . Does it run between the tank & the frame , secured with the clamp to tab on the frame ( on the second tube under the speedo ) , then unsecured to the carb ? Or between the down tubes to the same tab , then unsecured to the carb ? Still wondering about the tapped hole in the top motor mount .

Comment

I think the tapped hole in the motor mount is a Tilly remnant.
            VPH-D

Comment

i saw this old post since i'm trying to square away my '71 throttle cable also. i was wondering how you made out. i have an S&S B carb and have always run the cable from the right side but the action never felt smooth to me and i'm trying to fashion a bracket mounted to the lower manifold bolt to bring the cable in from the left side. i assume the bendix ran it in from the left but your carb doesn't show where the inner wire mounts.

Comment

Working...
              X