Ethanol gas in vintage Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol gas in vintage Chief

I live in CA, where the gas is 10% Ethanol (and the mix is particularly bad and susceptible to boiling in the summer). Does anyone use gas additives, like Amsoil Quickshot, which is supposed to be good to fight the negative effects of Ethanol?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Lipdog View Post
    I live in CA, where the gas is 10% Ethanol (and the mix is particularly bad and susceptible to boiling in the summer). Does anyone use gas additives, like Amsoil Quickshot, which is supposed to be good to fight the negative effects of Ethanol?

Thanks!
    I do not. I use Non-ethanol gasoline. I am fortunate as I live near a lake so there are marinas and gas stations that carry the non-ethanol gas. In CA are the marinas all selling ethanol??

Comment

Ethanol is both good and bad, Lipdog!

Its digestive and corrosive, but its critical for octane in USA fuels. (Stupid politicians...)

It makes the injector cleaners and detergents in fuels more aggressive as well.

And you think adding yet another cleaner will help, at twenty-three bucks a bottle?
      https://reviewguts.com/amsoil-quickshot/ smells just like snake oil.

Go for it.

....Cotten
      PS: So Paul!
      You only ride in circles around the lake?
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2019, 08:40 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Ethanol is both good and bad, Lipdog!

Its digestive and corrosive, but its critical for octane in USA fuels. (Stupid politicians...)

It makes the injector cleaners and detergents in fuels more aggressive as well.

And you think adding yet another cleaner will help, at twenty-three bucks a bottle?
        https://reviewguts.com/amsoil-quickshot/ smells just like snake oil.

Go for it.

....Cotten
        PS: So Paul!
        You only ride in circles around the lake?
        Yes; pretty much. Not too near the lake as that is where all the cars, crowds and trailered boats are;
        but the secondary roads through the farmlands here. No too much traffic and good roads. This time of year around here is especially nice with the leaves starting to turn and the fields in harvest. Average ride only ~ 20-25 miles round trip.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
          This time of year around here is especially nice with the leaves starting to turn and the fields in harvest.
          My favorite time of the year to ride, too! My Chief likes cold air, me... not so much! Was thinking of getting a battery powered heated vest!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

There is one place not far from me that sells Sunoco SS100 race fuel. But even that is 10% Ethanol. https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/ss-100

Comment

That's still too much to pay, Lipdog..

For extra octane that just goes out the tailpipe of a flatty.

I bet a juice glass of it topping off an OHV's tank of regular makes it run as well as pure "race fuel".

The only thing wrong with the latest fuels is they aren't swelling my competitor's floats like last year.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2019, 03:54 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Virtually all gas pumps are labeled up to 10% ethanol which is no more than a little dry gas to combat the condensation which forms in storage tanks and really poses no negative side effects. E85 is another animal which needs bigger jets in carburetors to keep the performance while losing some mileage. Most will agree the best thing in a Chief gas tank beside gas is a little Marvel Mystery Oil, I use a shot glass and throw a double in each tank when filled.

Comment

I use a dash of star-tron every tank or so and also Blenzall, but if going to sit for awhile then stabil additive. Just try to use the right tank enough to rotate gas.

Comment

There's about 150 Federally recognized fuel additives, Folks!

Usually you get your dose out of the pump.

Can anyone explain why we need more?

Thanks in advance as always..

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                      There's about 150 Federally recognized fuel additives, Folks!

Usually you get your dose out of the pump.

Can anyone explain why we need more?

Thanks in advance as always..

....Cotten
                      Not sure about federally regulated but Marvel Mystery Oil has been used for decades as an upper cylinder lubricant, especially for valves which receive little to no oil in flatheads. In olden times guys would drill and tap intake manifolds and use a small tank with petcock and line to let the Marvel Mystery Oil drip in while running. If you don't want to use a "fuel additive" you could run this setup but I have no problem throwing it in the fuel. I don't ride through winter so gas tanks get topped off and Sta-Bil or Seafoam is added in fall for layover. Agree fuel additive is a waste of money as a performance enhancer and does nothing to offset the presence and effect of ethanol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbalowe View Post
                        .. In olden times guys would drill and tap intake manifolds and use a small tank with petcock and line to let the Marvel Mystery Oil drip in while running. ...
                        I've fixed a few, Bubbalowe!

Not a good idea.

....Cotten
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-17-2019, 05:56 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

I have a number of bikes that sit around for extended times. I spend more time building my bikes that riding them.
                          When they were filled with pump gas, every time I went to ride them I would have to clean the carbies, without fail.

When I got sick of doing this, I converted most of my bikes over to ethanol free fuel. Now they start whenever i want them to.

One bike I missed was a 1978 Triumph I have. I have replaced the carbies, cleaned the jets a few times, and it always starts 1 st kick. I left the pump gas in it for 2 months and now it won't run. It starts on the tickle, then dies. Jets blocked again.

For those of you who ride regularly, almost any pump gas will work for you without any additives.
                          The secret is to keep riding them as they were designed.

Comment

I agree and I also don't believe in additives to boost octane, etc. But I won't be riding this bike much - especially during the winter. I have a power washer with a Honda engine and Honda recommends Sta-bil for winter storage. So there must be something to it.

Comment

Greetings Lipdog:
                              I was recommanded by an old timer to use a blend, for my '41WL/'42WLA & soon to be with my '40 UL, of about 10-15% 100/110 leaded & the rest premium unleaded from regular fill ups. The leaded gas comes in 5 gallon containers from Sunoco. It's bit expense but my flatties have no issues, they run nicely & plugs burn nice. When I'm on the road I have a list of where to buy the 100/110 nationwide. here is the link:https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA which has all other states also. Hope this info usefull!
                              Live to ride!
                              Ride to live!
                              aerozak

DAH...forgot mention have 5 gallon jerry can mounted to my bikes for long far road trips!

Comment

Working...
                              X