Riveting Question ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riveting Question ...

Had my 65 saddlebags restored and repainted, and now have to reinstall all the hardware. I got the correct tubular rivets (some from HD, and some from "Bill's"). I see that both V-Twin and Jim's sell a ($90-$180) "saddlebag latch rivet tool" that resembles a specialized C clamp. I probably already know the answer, but the question is how essential this tool is to getting everything installed solidly and correctly.

ALSO ... I got new floorboard rubber mats and rivets. Those rivets are split rivets. A little online searching shows there is a "split rivet tool" that is sort of a cross between a chisel and a drift. Do I need this tool also, or is there a way around it?

I hate dropping that kind of money on tools I will only use once, but if it's the only way to do it right, then it's worth it to me to buy them, and perhaps sell them later on Ebay as "used".

Thanks in advance to anybody who has been down this path and can enlighten me.
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Palmer gives a really good description of how to install the foot board mats in his book, pictures and all. Give it a read, I believe I just used an older blunt chisel. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for that tip! Hadn't thought to look there, even though the book is sitting three feet away from me right now.

Comment

The saddlebag tool does work really well, got mine off ebay, Kent Moore # HD-39787-A. I got a new one for $50. They are on there quite often. I made a tool for the split rivets, http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts216.htm, duplicating this design. It did a really good job, rolled the rivet over into two curved pieces with only the outer edge of the rivet holding the mat in place. Mirror image of tool shown. It didn't pull the mat down too tight and distort it, and didn't chip the paint on the underside, and all the rivets look uniform unlike if you just smash them over. My opinion. Good luck.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Can anyone tell me which rivets are correct for a 65 FL?

Comment

Thanks for the info on the more reasonably priced tool, Bob! As for the custom tool for the split rivets, I'd appreciate having the dimensions, so I can take a crack at making one. I had to drill the original rivets out, and don't recall them being curled like in the photo, but that makes sense.

Oops! looked again at the photo of the homemade tool, and he mentions the dimensions and how he made it. My bad!
            Last edited by JSB55; 09-16-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
              Can anyone tell me which rivets are correct for a 65 FL?
              the numbers are in the parts book. The small saddlebag rivets are still available from HD, the large ones I got from Bill's. The split rivets for the floorboards I found at Good Old MC Co.

Comment

Thanks JSB55!

Comment

DSC06386.jpgThis is the tool I made. 3/8" dia with a 3/16" wide flat area to avoid hitting the rolled edge of the board. I got carried away, heat treated mine then black oxide.
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob,
                    Pm sent.
                    AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]25895[/ATTACH]This is the tool I made. 3/8" dia with a 3/16" wide flat area to avoid hitting the rolled edge of the board. I got carried away, heat treated mine then black oxide.
                      Wanna make and sell one?

Comment

Working...
                      X