Cross Country Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Country Chase

Hello folks, I am sure that I am not the only one who is trying to follow the "CCC" from the comfort of their armchair.

I thought I would put a post up because I haven't seen one on here yet which I am surprised about.

I would have loved to have competed as it appeals to me in some ways more than the Cannonball because no backup teams are allowed (although I would be interested to see if there have been any "cheats" in this regard). Just a bike and a rider and no backup team seems much better event than a competition to see who has the deepest pockets.

Cutting to the chase (pun intended) I was wondering if there are any ways to follow progress other than on the official CCC website. I am following Keith Martin (Big D Cycle) on his instagram but I am sure that there must be other places to follow.

Thanks,

John

John,
    Look 4 posts down. I asked same and I know others who have searched for daily updates with no luck. We got spoiled with Bill Wood's thorough daily updates during the last Cannonball. The videos posted on the CCC FB help a little. At least I get a glimpse of the people I know once in awhile. It'd be great to see the standings sheet posted daily.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Hi Skirted, I missed your post most likely because I dont check in on here every day.

I agree with your posting. Also I note that the FB and instagram videos are also on youtube.

BigD cycle is posting on his instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/bigdcycle/

I havent seen too much on the other "usual suspects" such as The Vintagent although I guess that there must be a few other participants posting on their social media. If I find any I will post them on here and your thread.

John

Comment

Michael Lichter has also been posting pics from the road:

https://www.instagram.com/michaellichterphotography/

Comment

John,

You can follow the Chase on Facebook or motorcyclechase on Instagram, Jason and LeeAnn Simms are posting there. Rebecca Cunningham (Red Flyer Media) is posting videos on Facebook and instagram, she’s redflyermedia on Instagram. She’s sort of the official Videographer and just an all around nice lady. Also, Chris Tribbey (#09 I think) has been doing a good job of posting a couple of videos a day on both Facebook and instagram (he’s Mirth74 on instagram). A lot of the other riders are also posting videos, but those have been some of the good ones I’ve seen. If I think of any others I’ll post them.

BTW - I agree with some of your comments about riding the Chase vs the Cannonball. I’m considering switching from the Cannonball to the Chase after 2020. The effort of putting together a support team and vehicle every other year is time consuming and expensive. The idea of simply getting on an old bike with a tool roll and a few things and just riding across the country with some great people is very appealing to me. I doubt if there’s ant cheating going on, I know a lot of those folks and they tend to be more focused on the fun than the win.

Just thought of another one - Doug Wothke has been posting a lot of pictures on Facebook and Instagram. He’s rtwDoug on Instagram. Doug is participating as a staff rider this time, he always has an interesting point of view on things.

Also, on Facebook, some people are posting their pictures to the Motorcycle Cannonball group, so you might want to follow there.

Kevin

Last edited by Shaky Jake; 09-10-2019, 06:50 AM.
          Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Hi Jake, thanks for the reply and the links/tips on who is posting updates on their various SM. I will check them out.

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
            The idea of simply getting on an old bike with a tool roll and a few things and just riding across the country with some great people is very appealing to me.
            Me too. I would like to do the Cannonball too but with minimal backup if possible but I would much prefer it to be just me and my bike and good company much as you have stated.

However (and I hope I am not jinxing it by mentioning it) it looks like we are FINALY close to moving house in early October so any Cannonball/CCC aspirations will have to wait because after we have moved I need to build new stables for horses and a new shop for bikes so that will take my time, energy and cash for a little while.

John

Comment

Just thought of another one - Doug Wothke has been posting a lot of pictures on Facebook and Instagram. He’s rtwDoug on Instagram. Doug is participating as a staff rider this time, he always has an interesting point of view on things.
              And if you'd like to see where Doug Wothke is and has gone, he carries a tracker on his bike. You can see see it on Spotwala here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...b4de3265776584
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

That's so cool Doug does that, that man has been around. Thanks for the link. Bob
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
                  I would like to do the Cannonball too but with minimal backup if possible but I would much prefer it to be just me and my bike and good company much as you have stated.

However (and I hope I am not jinxing it by mentioning it) it looks like we are FINALY close to moving house in early October so any Cannonball/CCC aspirations will have to wait because after we have moved I need to build new stables for horses and a new shop for bikes so that will take my time, energy and cash for a little while.

John
                  Yes. A couple of guys have done the Cannonball with no visible support, Kelly Modlin did it in 2018, and I think Doug did it once, maybe in 2014. It’s something to aspire to.

Good luck with the move. Horses AND antique motorcycles? You probably need an airplane and a couple of boats too! ;-)

Kevin

Kevin
                  https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

AMCA BOARD MEMBER Will L from Wisconsin bowed out with an engine failure on his 30's Indian sport's scout...totally stock...no upgrades...etc... Gotta love an ex military dude and his fortitude for making a run on his own. His motor is totaled and he is planning on what to do on the next run. Love this guy and he is supporting your hobby day to day. Well done Will...Driftless Chapter Guy ,just so your know......Some folks are the real deal...Will is one of those...
                    Ross

Comment

Yes. A couple of guys have done the Cannonball with no visible support, Kelly Modlin did it in 2018, and I think Doug did it once, maybe in 2014. It’s something to aspire to.

Good luck with the move. Horses AND antique motorcycles? You probably need an airplane and a couple of boats too! ;-)

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I did follow Doug's account of his unsupported Cannonball at the time. I think he posted updates on AdvRider.

I am not particularly into boats but would love an old airplane. Either a DeHaviland Sea Hornet (none exist so would need to re-create one) or a Dakota with some history, maybe one that was used in the Berlin Airlift.

I do have a lot of stuff to deal with for this move but am able to get a vicarious old bike fix via the good old internet.

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                      AMCA BOARD MEMBER Will L from Wisconsin bowed out with an engine failure on his 30's Indian sport's scout...totally stock...no upgrades...etc... Gotta love an ex military dude and his fortitude for making a run on his own. His motor is totaled and he is planning on what to do on the next run. Love this guy and he is supporting your hobby day to day. Well done Will...Driftless Chapter Guy ,just so your know......Some folks are the real deal...Will is one of those...
                      Bad news for Will. I hope he get everything fixed up OK.

John

Comment

Does anyone know the details of how the "no-support" policy is implemented? Most bikes will have been delivered to the starting point, and will be retrieved at the ending point by the same vehicle. If a bike breaks down one of the organizer's trailers will pick it up and deliver it to the next stop on the route. However, if it's an "unfixable" breakdown the bike would be stranded at that stop for lack of room on the organizer's trailers. So it only makes sense that each rider's "non-support vehicle" be encouraged to follow close to the route from start to finish.

Obviously, a trailer and team of mechanic would be spotted if helping a bike that had broken down on route, but how are evenings handled? Is there a Parc Ferme that only riders have access to? That still wouldn't deter an unscrupulous rider from having access to the contents of his team's trailer parked nearby, since the odds of being spotted doing so would be small. Without some sort of policing it would be unfair to the majority of riders who I am sure are not unscrupulous. So, how is this handled?

Comment

No idea what level of policing there is but have a few thoughts; It’d be very difficult to police fully especially by event staff maybe better policed by riders themselves. With a relatively small number of riders I’d think most recognize who is who and with everyone carrying a camera these days someone cheating would be taking a chance. I’d have to think the most difficult thing for anyone to police is a following support person delivering parts to a motel room so the rider can install.
                          If someone is determined to cheat they will find a way. If they cheat and it allows them to win their class or a runner up spot they’ll bask in the award presentation glory but after they have to wake up everyday they are alive with guilt knowing they are inferior and cheated other honest riders who put their heart and soul into this event. Good luck with that.

We are in Key West anxiously awaiting their arrival tomorrow. 3 of the 4 riders from our chapter are among the 35 still with a perfect score and no penalty. Those handicap and especially quiz score points will play a big role in tie breakers.
                          Tom Banks #21 is an experienced X Cannonballer but Joe Ferri #23 and Willie Earhart #18 are first timers to anything like this.
                          Last edited by Skirted; 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM.
                          Jason Zerbini
                          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Some good points there Skirted.

It occurs to me that the simplest but to cheat on might be the quiz (not that I am suggesting that anyone IS cheating on it, just hypothetically) Here in the UK so called "Pub Quiz" competitions were killed off by the smartphone. If someone had an earpiece in and read the questions out aloud to him or herself it would be simple for an accomplice to feed back googled answers.

I guess that some participants might give us their perspective on honesty on the event in a week or two and I look forward to hearing their experiences.

John

Comment

If anybody cheats they are only cheating themselves. Would take a special kind of lowlife to enjoy looking at a trophy they won by cheating. Anybody that rides an old bike better not need a trophy to satisfy him. It's all about the adventure and proving to yourself that you can do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X