Gas Cap Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Cap Gaskets

Just wondered what material everyone is having the best luck with, with today's fuel? I recently got another bike up and running and decided to try Viton, it swelled up more than the Buna that is in another bike using the same standard pump gas with ethanol. Is anyone using leather or another material with good results? Thanks, Bob
    Bob Rice #6738

It can't be real Viton, Bob!

What color are they? Are they 'branded'?

(Doh! Viton can be both red and black... but red is certain,.. maybe.)

Dies are easy to whittle on the lathe, and leather was the standard back in the day (before P4gas).

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-06-2019, 10:45 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Bob , talk to Paul Andrews (Pa, Paps), he was making some replacement gaskets.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        Bob , talk to Paul Andrews (Pa, Paps), he was making some replacement gaskets.
        Robbie
        Pa gave me scraps to make top petcock gaskets, Folks!

Black, but it tested out fine back then...

What fuel are you running, Bob?

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

The 'Viton' gaskets I have I purchased at Wauseon from a vendor about 4 years ago. I cannot verify they are Viton but I would want to think I bought what I was told. The gaskets were black. As stated in my first post, I am running just standard pump gas with ethanol. I have been thinking about making some simple punch and dies and buying some Viton. Just wanted to get opinions as to what is working for everyone before I invest in a sheet of Viton. Thanks Robbie I may get in contact with Paul and see if he has any. Thanks, Bob
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

What about the leather ones Bob? They work great on my 38. I have plenty of oem ones if you need a set.
            AMCA #765

Comment

The H-D packaged originals I have are cork. They seem to be to dried out to be usable, but I've heard you can boil them to make them usable.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

I have added a gasket made from an inner tube to an old, ill fitting original with great success. Just needs a finger load of oil once in a while

Comment

There would be a lot of good gasket materials, Folks,..

If only the fuels would cooperate; Beware swelling rubber gaskets can block the vents on some designs of caps, causing overflow or worse.

Modern cork is bonded composite, so somewhere someday some fuel might eat it. The stuff I get, even the best from Portugal, works as a gasket, but would soon disintegrate under the mechanics of a cap.

"Fishpaper" is too stiff to get over the bayonet tangs.

Where's Pa? Not a member?
                  I think I have a set of his stashed somewhere....

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-07-2019, 11:09 AM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                    What about the leather ones Bob? They work great on my 38. I have plenty of oem ones if you need a set.
                    Len, How thick are the leather ones? Does the smooth or rough side of the leather go against the tank?

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    The H-D packaged originals I have are cork. They seem to be to dried out to be usable, but I've heard you can boil them to make them usable.
                    Eric, How thick are the cork ones?

Thanks.
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The cork gaskets are .125" thick. As Tom said, the cork gasket is a composite and I don't know if they would hold up to modern fuel.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

I checked my fossils, Folks,...

And it only raised more questions.
                        (Veggie-tanned ain't like chemical 'chrome-tan, etc.)

As always with P4gas, we are back to the bare drawing board for design and materials.

Longevity is the b*...

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-08-2019, 05:36 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                          Len, How thick are the leather ones? Does the smooth or rough side of the leather go against the tank?
                          I'll measure them but they are oem. I always put them smooth side to the the tank and oil them occasionally. They do wear out and after fifteen years thinking of replacing them as they leaked for the first time on a run last month. But then I forgot to turn my petcocks off but they have never done that before. I'll send you a oem set if you would like.
                          AMCA #765

Comment

Can someone enlighten, what is wrong with the commercially available gaskets readily available from suppliers. James makes one.

Comment

oops, just realized this is an old thread and may not be relevant anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X