Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help identify Thiem and Thoroughbred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey folks,
    I don't remember exactly when, but sometime in the last 20+ years, the fellow (can't recall his name) who owns and restored the Thiem displayed at Tenino had a feature article or maybe even a series about finding it and restoring it. I believe he lives in western Washington as well. I didn't get a chance to chat with him at Tenino as there was a good sized group of people crowded around and asking him many questions. Garth, don't let anyone talk you out of either of your projects for a lowball offer, they are rare and difficult to complete, but very desirable to those who like early machines.
    Mike Carver
    AMCA #3349

Comment

Thanks again everyone. So much support!!!!
      I’ll slowly follow up on all the leads
      I have three little kids that take up all of our time.

I stumbled upon these bikes while out hunting for antique gas pumps and signs.
      I collect antiques
      So I got a call in December from a Farmer that had a little of everything
      Model A’s and T’s, maybe some oil cans, possibly a old gas pump or parts of.
      A taken apart steam tractor lots of stuff. Anyhow I finally had time to go in August

I found the Thiem on a pile of scrap metal. You can see the picture. The farmer told me it was a Indian and they got it running and driving with parts laying around the farm. He was 8 years old. Didn’t think there was a motor.
      (I think earlier in the day I was holding the carb and intake pipe)

The reading standard I found under a pile of tricycles and chicken wire beneath a tree.
      Really all I could see if it was the wide forks. Then the weird shock absorbers.
      But when I seen the handle bars and linkage my heart skipped a beat for sure.

Now that I know what I’m looking for it’ll be even more fun going back.
      I think I seen the gas tank for the R.S under a pile breaker boxes for electric fence stuff
      I’ll keep updating the forum with some pictures.

Cheers everyone

Comment

I’ve already met a whole pile of great people on this forum.
        I have to give praise to my neighbor Jerome
        He owns and restores old Harleys and Indians
        He pointed me in the Thiem and RS direction.

Comment

Hang in there, Garth you're on a noble quest Eventually, you'll find what you need, learn new skills, and make a ton of new friends in the process.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by jcrawford View Post
            Hello Garth,
            At our recent AMCA Evergreen Chapter 39th annual Tenino, WA Swap Meet the highlight of the motorcycle show was a 93 yr. old gentleman and his lovely wife who proudly showed their restored
            1912 Thiem and discussed its history with smiles and enthusiasm. I have never posted a photo here, so have no idea how to do so. If you send me a private message I will email you some photos I took.
            I do not have contact information for the owners but it may be available from our chapter, I can look into this if you wish. I vaguely remembered seeing this at Norm Gerlich's shop in Seattle many years ago.

John Crawford
            AMCA #2806
            Hi John

I got to talk to the Kieth the owner of the 1912 Thiem.
            He has agreed to let me share his pictures and stories.
            He has some leads for me and pictures of his parts before restoration.
            He is a real good guy and I’d like to thank his wife Arlene also.
            They went across the country doing swap meets, looking for the right parts.
            So cheers to them. It will be a lot easier now for me

Comment

B9A253FE-467D-478E-A102-44B444999631.jpg3DF8A5D4-FCBB-431A-B2C9-A533CD87E56B.jpgB881EDAB-986B-4004-ABFE-5460A0DD0CBD.jpg21BD230C-FF39-4A7F-9423-4CFD675EFFD5.jpg
              I’d like to thank everyone for sending me pictures and steering me in the right direction.

Comment

474FECA6-6B90-4CE5-8FFC-CF7FF2FE293F.jpgA93C74B3-42C8-407F-8BA9-4E31E6394279.jpgB19E6A88-567E-4A5B-8FB0-E2CF25C551C6.jpg904A406F-586C-484D-BA56-DFDB1E02DB82.jpg

I found some important pieces for The Thiem
                If anyone has a Thiem single for sale please let me know.

Garthdd1@hotmail.com

Garth 3062227376

Comment

I would like to talk to any Thiem owners please. I have some questions for you. Dave R dcrad@cast.net
                  thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by gasman View Post
                    I would like to talk to any Thiem owners please. I have some questions for you. Dave R dcrad@cast.net
                    thank you very much
                    This is a 1914 Thiem twin that I found about 10 years ago. I have some other pictures although I no longer have the motorcycle. Tom Jones of the Minneapolis, Minnesota area had a complete unrestored 1914 twin not long back. Very little info out there on them. Some American singles are rebadged Thiems. Jerry DSC00093.jpg

Comment

I would like to talk to anyone who is seriously into Thiems. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X