Henderson Dual Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson Dual Brake

I have read about the Henderson dual brake, apparently invented by the Hendersons in about 1916-17. The patent was transferred to Excelsior when they purchased Henderson in 1917-18. The Hendersons had an agreement to receive royalties on the brake design of $2 each used. The design was changed sometime in 1918 so the dual brake went away and the royalties stopped.

I have a model which I was told was a model of the Henderson dual rear brake. I am unable on line to find a photo or description of this brake. The model I have is about 1/4 scale and in a glass case. It may well have been a patent model for the brake but there is no ticket attached. May have been a salesman sample? I was hoping someone could help me identify the brake or tell me if it is or is not the Henderson design. Thanks very much. Jim
    Attached Files

Excelsior developed their own dual brake for the 1916 Big X. In 1915 they used the Mussleman dual brake, however, they could have started using their in-house dual brake during the '15 season. I would have to dig deeper into the Bund/Turek Ex-Hen books. The following pictures show Excelsior's dual brake. The explode view was on my 1916 Excelsior, and the other is from my 1919 Henderson. It's possible your patent model is Detroit Henderson. I have a good friend in Europe that has told me a dual brake was available for the Detroit era Hendersons. I've not seen a picture of it so I can't compare to your patent model. I am a bit dubious because none of your model resembles Detroit era Henderson components; such as the axel hangers, and pedals.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

But I love your patent model.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        But I love your patent model.
        It may well not be Henderson, that is just what I was told, no proof. The dual nature of the model is that it has an internal expanding brake one one side and a rubber piece on a lever that pushes on a shive on the other side, operated by two pedals on the model, one for each brake. Could even be a model for a bicycle I suppose, but seems much too complicated for that. It sits in my office and would love to find out more about it and probably sell or trade for one of my projects. JIM

Comment

I can't stop looking at your patent model as it is absolutely beautiful. As a machinist myself, I can't help but think of how much time, and love the engineer, and machinist spent building it. It's one thing to have a good idea; but an entirely different, and difficult endeavor to put that idea into a model that can be touched, and operated. CADD, and Solid Works are great tools, but there is no substitute for a tactile, tangible, thing that has weight, texture, and smells. Thanks for posting it.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X