No announcement yet.

How Many Knuckleheads still kicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember that Paul George along with Howard Wagner and a few others were very approachable, friendly and helpful to me at my first visit to the Davenport Meet in the mid '80's when I was learning what I needed for my '31 Indian 101 Scout project. I was getting started and none of them had met me previously. They were more interested in the extent of your enthusiasm than what you had in your wallet.
    Kenny Edmiston was the best towards me (and many others) in this regard.

Comment

The VL Register has been running 20 years, and lists about 3% of the 43,500 Big Twin flathead bikes built 1930-36, including many that are just motors or crankcases. Some owners are reluctant to contribute their numbers, so maybe the survival rate is about 5%. For the younger and more collectable knucklehead, a first guess at the number of real bikes surviving might be 8-10% of total production.

Comment

On the subject of cutting up frames and taking old bikes to the dump, do you think that maybe the dealers thought they would sell more new bikes and parts if they got rid of the old stuff?

Comment

I heard that 8 out of 10 Harley Davidsons ever built are still on the road today. The other two made it home.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist that one. But seriously, talking about WWII scrap drives, you also have to consider the fact that not very many new civilian vehicles were produced during the war, so vehicles that were not scrapped for the war were pretty much used up during that time frame and then scrapped when production of new models resumed. Or, if they weren’t used up they rusted up. Even though people weren’t going on long drives due to gas rationing, a certain amount of miles were needed to keep things going, and not much was made for five years or so. You have to think that everyone was ready a new model after the war and the tired old models pre-war were pretty worthless.

Kevin

Last edited by Shaky Jake; 08-13-2019, 07:26 AM.
          Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
            On the subject of cutting up frames and taking old bikes to the dump, do you think that maybe the dealers thought they would sell more new bikes and parts if they got rid of the old stuff?
            I have heard that, John. I believe Dr. Sucher went into that in his book, 'Harley-Davidson, the Milwaukee Marvel'. And you know that every fact he wrote was triple checked, and peer reviewed Seriously though, getting old bikes off the market may have been good business for selling new bikes, but wouldn't the acquisition of a used bike, and it's destruction cut into the bottom line? Maybe big volume dealers could afford to do that, but I wonder if the Mom, and Pop dealers needed the used bike market to survive. Curious what others think, as I love these conversations.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I suspect, Folks....

That "used" bikes were a lot more "used" back when.

Not worth fixin'.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well I have 5 and a possible 6 pending some parts. 3 currently running and riding and two being assembled and hunting parts for #6. When I got my first one nobody wanted a knuckle especially a 61". Everybody was crazy for pans. Still have that bike and will be the last one I ever get rid of. And Steve I also have 3 VL's, 2 -36 VLH's and a 33 VLD. So they are out there and getting ridden. There was a sizable number of knuckles at the Texas Road Run where a pic was takes. of them. My 47 was not in it but there.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  I based my reply on Excelsior, and Henderson production data that is still sketchy; despite the profound efforts of Bund/Turek.
                  I should have said, Excelsior numbers are still sketchy to ME. That doesn't mean other people don't understand them. I think there will always be some ambiguity about history, and original documentation; and that is what makes all motorcycle history interesting.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Having always been a Knucklehead fan and not so much Panhead I always paid attention to Knuckles for sale. A few observations..
                    Most Knuckles that survive are post war due to several factors. They were more plentiful due to increased production, they were not totally worn out and were sometimes parked forever leading to good examples of OP bikes, they were bypassed when the new Panhead came out. The bad is they were cheap and good chopper fodder so many ended up very heavily modified.
                    Pre-war bikes were already used and had been passed over early on for newer models, were cheap, and were expendable.
                    Immediate pre-war models were run into the ground as basic transportation during the war years, both by civilian and Police/Commercial use with '41s being the most common.
                    I currently have a 41EL, a 42FL, and a 47FL.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Howdy Rollo,

Here’s that assembly of knuckles, more at link below.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Events/A...2019/i-5NtrBHr
                      Cheerio,
                      Peter
                      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Back to the topic, and who is going to start compiling a knucklehead register? I understand the 1936 knuck register ran into problems after duplicate engine numbers started appearing.

Comment

many years back a USA guy sold 12 knucks to europe.The guy left the titles & said he did not need them so make some more!

Comment

Then there is this guy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lornfornwal...p2047675.l2562

You wait around long enough and your year and model is bound to show up. He and another are constantly selling paperwork and it is always out of PA.

Jerry

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                            many years back a USA guy sold 12 knucks to europe.The guy left the titles & said he did not need them so make some more!

Comment

I keep looking at them just to make sure none of the bikes I have show up. I have clear legal titles for all mine and in some case have had the bike almost 50 years but I check just to make sure folks aren't recycling titles and one of mine shows up. Most all of these claim to be clean and clear!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                              AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                                Back to the topic, and who is going to start compiling a knucklehead register? I understand the 1936 knuck register ran into problems after duplicate engine numbers started appearing.
                                As a member I never heard that.
                                Be sure to visit;
                                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                                X