UL Flywheel taper servicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UL Flywheel taper servicing

I have a set of UL wheels and the pinion taper and keyway are damaged. I was told the wheels are serviceable, not so sure now. Any EXPERT advise would be appreciated. I sold these and the guy refused them because he said the taper on the pinion shaft was distorted or otherwise unserviceable. Any ideas?? I just don't have the expert knowledge to make an informed call on this rt. side wheel.IMG_20190808_134729_016.jpgIMG_20190808_135141_373.jpgIMG_20190808_135105_746.jpgIMG_20190808_140055_707.jpgIMG_20190808_135351_514.jpg

I don't know how that guy would be able to see a "distorted" taper. If a person lapped a pinion shaft to the bore, irregularities could be seen; but to look at it and say it's distorted is B.S. There is obvious wear, but it doesn't look like it would effect the pinion shaft fit. Original flywheels are always suspect, but I've trued many for Indians, Excelsiors, and H-Ds and only had the usual truing ritual. At first blush, your wheels look usable; but I always defer to the members here that have more experience than me.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

It appears that the nut was likely tightened with a hammer and chisel at some point, and perhaps the shaft loosened in service. The slightly polished areas are where the shaft made contact with the taper and possible moved a bit to get that polish. However without closer inspection and the ability to set them up in a lathe or truing stand to see what is going on it is hard to say. Most tapers in mass production have enough machining variation to show contact on high spots only. The chipping around the edge of the keyway could have been the same hamfisted mechanic who beat on the nut.
      I'd take them if the price was right.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Call Truett & Osborn and be done with it
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
          Call Truett & Osborn and be done with it
          +1

Call up T&O; get CJ or Paul on the phone and ask if they'd look at your photos and give you a true opinion on cost. Worst case scenario; they will sell you brand new wheels and at that point STROKE IT.

Comment

Don't throw those wheels away, Hack!

Hand-lapping for quick inspection would be the first step (and maybe magnafluxing if you can).

Then set up to correct the tapers: http://virtualindian.org/10techfly.htm

....Cotten
            PS: Anybody ever magnaflux with a growler?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't have a lathe or truing stand as I normally send this type of work to a shop equipped to recondition and fit the parts as needed. The little ding on the nut side going into the taper and the chip out of the bottom of the keyway on the other end under the washer are the only issues with the wheel set. I see no great reason why the wheel can't be restored to working condition by someone with the right skill. It does appear a ham fisted hack (no pun intended) removed the pinion shaft and did the damage. The wheels came to me with the sprocket shaft and a crank pin still installed and a brand new Jim's step pin, but no pinion shaft. I wanted to do a flathead at one point but found a nice 50 Pan motor and title so these are extra.

Comment

Working...
              X