Splitdorf Magneto Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitdorf Magneto Problems

I have a splitdorf-ns mag for my 21 indian scout and have had a major problem getting it to work after sending to two different re-builders. Those who know understand that these mags they have a key-way, pin, and gear for timing. Some re-builders put a shaft in that does not offer all these parts for timing but rather a nut you tighten down to set the timing, when the nut backs off over a period timing is out of wack. My question is to find someone, (someone really good and you have had experience with this mag, timing is so important), who could fix with the original system using a key-way, pin, and gear? Thanks to all who could help. oldblu

Indian originally did not use the factory key slot in the magneto armature, ever! They had some system of setting things up and then drilling a small hole in the gear and shaft face then inserting a steel pin, I think 1/8". If your mag has this half hole drilled on the end of the shaft, use that! Otherwise, use the key slot and go through the arduous process of setting the timing on BOTH cylinders!!!!! Once you get it, lock it down tight with a key, or pin, don't rely on the taper only. Also, before you start all this, lap the gear to the shaft for best fit.

Good luck!
    Gene Harper

Comment

Gene: Thank you for that, finally someone with your knowledge understands how the system was set up. We re-magnetized and got spark now we believe we are two to four teeth off it should come together. Yes the pin is around 1/8 and we have been using that and the key slot which we will time with, by the way no key-way slot on the new shafts had to machine one in now there is a arduous task. Boy it is sure a different day with some re-builders members beware. Thanks again Gene your knowledge is asset to the club!

Comment

Working...
      X