No announcement yet.

Long term project...1934 Harley Davidson VLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're doing 1 sealed bearing you may as well do both. It takes very little heat to remove the inner race from the drive gear. I used one of those little plumbers propane torches and it didn't take much at all. And use 2 flat screwdrivers to apply upwards pressure.
    You can use a core (welch) plug in the housing to seal the end of the cluster gear shaft.

Comment

Nice looking gearbox. It looks like the main gear will go back in with oversize rollers, but many are putting in sealed bearings. The bearing collar does not always come easily off the main gear, and there was a Harley special tool for this which I've never seen. It looks like a tapered axe head with a big U-shaped cut-out to go either side of the collar. You can get similar leverage by stripping off the copper seal, putting the main gear teeth upwards in a bench vice, slipping two quarter inch/6mm rods or long screwdriver shanks horizontally in the top of the jaws, then tightening up and applying heat until the collar moves.

Comment

1934 Harley-Davidson VLD Motorcycle

Great fun and a adventure to ride.IMG_20190711_141649222_HDR.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
          Nice looking gearbox. It looks like the main gear will go back in with oversize rollers, but many are putting in sealed bearings. The bearing collar does not always come easily off the main gear, and there was a Harley special tool for this which I've never seen. It looks like a tapered axe head with a big U-shaped cut-out to go either side of the collar. You can get similar leverage by stripping off the copper seal, putting the main gear teeth upwards in a bench vice, slipping two quarter inch/6mm rods or long screwdriver shanks horizontally in the top of the jaws, then tightening up and applying heat until the collar moves.
          A small bearing separator will do the same job. It will have just enough room to grip the bearing inner race.
          Sit the seperator on a vice with the sprocket end up and sprocket nut installed.
          Give it a light tap and it may fall out, otherwise some heat will be needed.

On another note, Does anybody know where I can get a VL high gear to convert my JD box. Pt no 2296-31.
          Thanks

Comment

"On another note, Does anybody know where I can get a VL high gear to convert my JD box. Pt no 2296-31."

Keep an eye on Ebay. Harbor Vintage often list parts like that.

Comment

Thanks Peter, I check there regularly.

Comment

Working...
              X