No announcement yet.

Wauseon gate time question ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**To avoid confusion and lack of know how, i’m surprised that the AMCA Brass doesn’t post & elaborate on how much time & effort is involved in putting on the Largest National AMCA Event, like Wauseon,Ohio.
    Roeder Racing crew had 3 shifts of crews starting set-up from Monday morning(7-15-2019), till Race day on Friday(19th). That was around 20 to 25 total personnel, just for the 1/2 mile event Race prep. Fulton County still runs the trotters and have their personnel on the premises. Also, those grounds are commercially sprayed for mosquito control prior to the National. Most of the food vendors are setting up. The AMCA volunteer & grounds maintenance have to check the electric outlets, Pa equipment, check point gate set-up, and make sure the lavatories are clean and functioning & grounds are marked, cut & trimmed, plus countless other formalities.

**I completely do not understand your statement ‘eldomike’, about..."why 100 people are on the grounds before the rest of us"? Maybe--the prior paragraph will enlighten You? As far as the good people involved, they are diligently trying to ensure that the Event will come off without a hitch, as opposed to being subject to bantering about the unprofessionalism of the Event weekend, and it’s function. If anything, i would be highly concerned about the Punk Bastards that cut the lock off the North Gate, and ‘trespassed' onto Fulton County Fairgrounds without permission, and jeopardized the rest of the law abiding AMCA Members vending at Wauseon!

** E.g. When Scotty Brown was race promoter*(2007-2017), around 3-4 years into the program, some of the racers plastic tear-offs escaped pick-up and discard, and were flying around the track from the gust of wind that released them from under the privacy race fence tarps. A trotter’s horse was hit with a prism right between the horses eyes and the blinders that ricocheted from the sun’s reflection off a single tear-off. The Horse spooked, and almost ejected the rider. Granted, a totally freakish occurrence, but nevertheless, Scotty was issued a ‘WARNING', that if even one of those tear-offs were spotted on the track, there would not be…Any More Motorcycle Racing on that 1/2 Mile!
    This could happen to the National Wauseon event, with incidents like the gate cut and the illegal entering of the Fairgrounds prior to the scheduled Thursday 8am entry. I’m sure the Fulton County Fairgrounds Committee will seriously review these actions.

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 07-29-2019, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Excellent description of what it takes to make a big National AMCA Meet JoJo357. Whenever I hear anyone bitch and moan about any bike meet (from a parking lot to a fairground) I have to ask; "what did you do make this happen?". My hat is always off to the volunteers, and vendors that make any meet a reality. Particularly, the people who are there on clean-up duty when the meet is over. Talk about a thankless job.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

eldomike, Yah, and those "lot of people on the grounds" before "the rest of us" weren't camping, sourcing parts, or setting up their vending spot. They were getting the grounds ready so "the rest of us" could do all those things. Ever tried it?
        DrSprocket

Comment

Ok,I never meant to imply that it didn't take a lot of people to put on the event,was just trying to explain why some people might have the wrong idea why there were so many people on the grounds...I never heard anything about the cutting of the chains...the majority of the people who in the past that were there early weren't vending...they were camping..regardless,I'll go with whatever is decided...

Comment

My wife and I were involved in a large AMCA meet for quite a few years. Never mind what you saw from the outside, it is what you never saw from the inside how much work goes into a meet from all angles. We had a separate meet information phone line at my home, that was my mothers when she was alive that we used just for the meet. (RIP). We utilized that number since it wasn't being used otherwise. People would call ALL HOURS of the day or night in whatever condition they happen to be in. Not only did they want to get information on the meet, but wanted to carry on endlessly on their latest project, meet comparisons, wife/husband problems etc. This would start 8 months before the meet and continue for a month afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it for the most part. (Especially since my wife handled 99% of it.) This was, no kidding, a 60hr. a week full time job for the last 3 months prior to the meet.
            We tried to restrict entrance early to the meet and it was pretty successful. There were plenty of instances of people being upset because they could not enter prior to anyone else to get a jump on the "Good" stuff. I am providing this info just as a big "Thank You" to all the tireless volunteers that put on all the meets thru-out the country. It is a wonderful feeling when it is all over and done with and a lone person walks up to you at the end of hundreds of hours worth of work and comments, "Good job, it was a great meet."
            Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 08-01-2019, 08:40 AM.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

JoJo357 and All
              Speaking as a nine year AMCA Board member and Wauseon Planning Committee member for more years than I can remember, including several years as Chair of the Planning Committee, I must agree that the "National" does not give enough credit to the people that organize and present National meets. The National provides a $500 stipend to each "National" meet, as well as insurance coverage and a free full page ad in the Antique Motorcycle, that is a substantial contribution. Each 'National" meet pays the National twenty dollars for each vending space sold for the meet ($14,000+ in the case of Wauseon). Any profit above expenses is divided equally among the five Chapters that present the Wauseon meet.
              It is a Lake Erie Chapter member that fogs for mosquito control, using equipment that he personally owns, and provides all chemicals used at no cost the the meet. Brad, the grounds keeper, and his crew do an excellent job of preparing the grounds for us, mowing and moving anything that we request.
              PA system, tents for gates, and lav cleaning after the meet starts are all paid for by the meet, as is the Saturday banquet and music.
              As for the number of meet volunteers on the grounds before the meet starts, maybe you do not see all working all of the time, but they are there to do all tasks asked of them. Including, marking the field, folding and arranging 2000 T-shirts, setting t-posts and ribbons for motorcycle parking and field events. And a few hundred small things that must be done.
              I can assure you that the "Punk Bastards" will not be able to open the vendor gate before 8 am Thursday in 2020.
              Can't comment on the race track issue as it is not actually a part of the Wauseon meet, the promoter has his own contract with the grounds and is responsible to track and grandstand clean-up.
              If it becomes necessary, we can revert to the language in the AMCA Policies and Procedures Manual that states, Vendor gate opens at 6 PM Thursday and camper gate opens at 8 AM Friday (read the P&P at antiquemotorcycle.org under the about button)
              On behalf of the Planning Committee and the five Chapters that present the Wauseon National, thank you for attending and we hope all enjoyed the meet that we all work the year around to make Wauseon the biggest and best antique motorcycle meet in the World.
              Fred Davis
              Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Fred, Well stated. As one who has been involved for twenty years with our Dixon meet we fudge too and let them in early on Thursday and have had no issues. I remember that it was game on at Davenport on Wednesday. We only fold 200 plus shirts and we think that's a lot. I don't know how you do it but please keep it up. I've only been to your meet once but thought it was the best. I liked the ice cream vendor best but that goes without saying.
                DrSprocket

Comment

Thank you, Doctor!
                  I can't tell you how many folks have told me "If the, Church Lady, ice cream goes away they will stop attending". Only had one serving this year, but I will make up for it next year.
                  Thank you, Drew!
                  I can certainly relate to your post.
                  All the Best, Fred
                  Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Fred,
                    I know I speak for all the Highlands guys who attend, that we greatly appreciate all that you and all the volunteers do at Wauseon and the ones at all the swap meets and Road Runs! Also to George Roeder and all associated with the races. It is always good to see you at the meets and Road Runs and hope to for a long time!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                    AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                      I've been going to Wauseon off and on for the better part of two decades, and I haven't missed a meet since 2013. I've noticed over the past three years or so that indeed Thursday is becoming the new start date of the meet.

This year it was particularly noticeable. A fair number of people I spoke to had sold many of their choice items by Thursday evening to early arrivals. I'm somewhat OK with that -- a buck is a buck and I won't tell a vendor how they should or shouldn't conduct their business.

However, it clearly was taking a toll by Friday evening. There was a fair number of vendors who packed up Friday and by 10am on Saturday a bunch more had already left. The heat wasn't necessarily the issue -- they had sold a lot of stuff and just wanted to get on the road. By noon, a solid 25% of vendors were gone or packing. This isn't unusual, but it seemed a much higher number than in years past. I watched folks loading up bikes I was actually headed over to talk with them about. Not to jaw on -- but to buy. This was at 11am on Saturday. They wouldn't haggle because they'd already loaded the bike up and were planning to leave by noon. When I asked one guy why he wouldn't even talk with me about price -- his response was "cause I can sell it at Davenport."

None of this is a complaint -- just a reality that the meet has gotten large enough for Thursday to be just as important as Friday for those looking for "that" part. The packing up earlier and earlier each year is just disappointing for those who can only spare one or two days. If you arrive on Saturday . . . you really miss quite a bit.

I still enjoy Wauseon quite a bit -- but I won't be bothering with Saturdays going forward. I'll shift to Thursday/Friday. I don't really want to -- but it's also a major investment to make it to the meet and if Thursday is the new Friday, well then that is that.
                      I hear ya about packing up early, at terryville sat..10 am and people were leaving, they made thier dough so its time to go....next year im hitting terryville on friday...Maybe what the antique motorcycle needs is a fall/spring/ and summer carlisle meet...Kinda ticks me off , people walking around so early with flash lights....really is this how greedy people are.
                      Last edited by brettxlch; 08-04-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brettxlch View Post
                        I hear ya about packing up early, at terryville sat..10 am and people were leaving, they made thier dough so its time to go....next year im hitting terryville on friday...Maybe what the antique motorcycle needs is a fall/spring/ and summer carlisle meet...Kinda ticks me off , people walking around so early with flash lights....really is this how greedy people are.
                        ....REPLY; ......QUOTE; "they made THEIR dough so it's time to go" Really??? Have you ever been a vendor at a swap meet? Terryville for me started after Memorial day earlier this year. Every day since then I spent a few hours each day dragging stuff out of the basement into the garage. Then sorting parts, degreasing parts, fixing parts, labeling parts then filling tubs and milk crates with them and god knows what else. I paid a friend of mine to help me load BOTH of our pickup trucks on Wednesday and we arrived late Thursday AM to unload BOTH trucks and set things up. Thursday night I got about 2 hours sleep thanks to the inconsiderate a-hole basically who got an indoor spot with electricity for camping in my building and not even vending. He left his radio blasting all night long while he was snoring away. Same thing Friday night so roughly 4 hours sleep in two nights sleeping in the back of my pickup truck with a broken back. So Friday at noon I pulled the plug as I was shot, plus my wife was pretty sick at home with breathing problems because of the weather last week. So we again loaded both trucks again and we went home. Arrived home and unloaded my buddies truck and said "tomorrow" for my load. Sunday morning I spent a few hours and unloaded my truck and this week will be spent putting stuff away. Other than the radio I never complained once as things were selling and I made a few bucks. Plus remember that all the stuff I cart around does not just fall into my lap for pennies on the dollar. I travel all over New England and NY State finding and getting this stuff home so you can try to beat me up on the price. ....SO..... it bothers you that someone left early because you slept late Friday night and arrived mid morning on a Saturday and everything good was gone? Remember that the early bird catches the worm. Cry me a river if a vendor who roasted in the sun is going home early is the only problem in your life. Don't criticize swap meet vendors until you have tried it yourself. We spend countless hours in prep for every swap meet we do yet alone time, travel and expenses. Please try to remember that before you criticize someones prices or if they go home a little early. It is not all about you and what you need or desire. RESPECTFULLY, 46EL/Author of "The glorious life of a swap meet vendor" (who has done it for 43 years now!!)
                        Last edited by 46EL; 08-04-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
                          ....REPLY; ......QUOTE; "they made THEIR dough so it's time to go" Really??? Have you ever been a vendor at a swap meet? Terryville for me started after Memorial day earlier this year. Every day since then I spent a few hours each day dragging stuff out of the basement into the garage. Then sorting parts, degreasing parts, fixing parts, labeling parts then filling tubs and milk crates with them and god knows what else. I paid a friend of mine to help me load BOTH of our pickup trucks on Wednesday and we arrived late Thursday AM to unload BOTH trucks and set things up. Thursday night I got about 2 hours sleep thanks to the inconsiderate a-hole basically who got an indoor spot with electricity for camping in my building and not even vending. He left his radio blasting all night long while he was snoring away. Same thing Friday night so roughly 4 hours sleep in two nights sleeping in the back of my pickup truck with a broken back. So Friday at noon I pulled the plug as I was shot, plus my wife was pretty sick at home with breathing problems because of the weather last week. So we again loaded both trucks again and we went home. Arrived home and unloaded my buddies truck and said "tomorrow" for my load. Sunday morning I spent a few hours and unloaded my truck and this week will be spent putting stuff away. Other than the radio I never complained once as things were selling and I made a few bucks. Plus remember that all the stuff I cart around does not just fall into my lap for pennies on the dollar. I travel all over New England and NY State finding and getting this stuff home so you can try to beat me up on the price. ....SO..... it bothers you that someone left early because you slept late Friday night and arrived mid morning on a Saturday and everything good was gone? Remember that the early bird catches the worm. Cry me a river if a vendor who roasted in the sun is going home early is the only problem in your life. Don't criticize swap meet vendors until you have tried it yourself. We spend countless hours in prep for every swap meet we do yet alone time, travel and expenses. Please try to remember that before you criticize someones prices or if they go home a little early. It is not all about you and what you need or desire. RESPECTFULLY, 46EL/Author of "The glorious life of a swap meet vendor" (who has done it for 43 years now!!)
                          MY MISTAKE, ABOVE SHOULD HAVE READ....sATURDAY AT NOON i PULLED THE PLUG AND LEFT

Comment

I hear you about the music, or someone on a 2 stroke with no muffler. My first time vending at an AMCA meet was about 1976 at the old Maguire field meet in Orlando. It can be a thankless job, and you never get back what you have into acquiring the parts, and logistics of storing, loading, and trucking that junk around. Vending is essential to the survival of AMCA meets and I think everyone owes it to themselves to give it a try, and to share what they don't need. . . One of the main reasons old parts are so expensive is, there are way more buyers (hoarders) than sellers.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Many thanks to John and all the other vendors who obviously put so much time and effort into bringing the goodies that we all are searching for. John, even if I didn't buy anything from you this time I still appreciate the wealth of knowledge you share freely with all attendees and you guys are one of the main reasons I joined the AMCA to begin with. Thanks again for all your efforts. Great Meet and kudos to all who worked and participated. Smitty

Comment

Thanks Eric and Smitty for your kind words. And for the other guy at the meet who commented to the other guy about some of my prices... All you have to do is open your mouth and communicate with me and either ask if I can do better or make me a good offer? Nobody knows how to negotiate anymore? For the guys complaining there was nothing left to buy on Saturday?? I do not know if there were any 1937 to 1947 Motors for sale other than the 37UL I had? But from what I had and what I saw and what I was told you could have built pretty much an entire rolling chassis from parts at this meet. So to tell me there was nothing to buy at a small meet like this is nothing but BS. Things were not flying off the shelf but if you had GOOD STUFF and not JUNK people were stepping up to the plate and spending. NUFF SED; 46EL

Comment

Working...
                                X