Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wauseon gate time question ????

I`m told no admission until Thursday the 18th @ 8AM

This was the "rule" and subject of a long thread here last year. ( the various reasons and pros & cons were well covered at that time.)

So, I arrived before 9AM Thursday and found the place almost full. Difficult to navigate and park the bus & trailer but we made it.
    I then spoke to other vendors already set-up: "We came in yesterday, the fairground is happy to collect the extra $20 camping fee and let you in"

Any input appreciated as I like to plan ahead .

Thank you

Same experience, was a bit of a nuisance as I drive down from Canada and it’s hard to time it, but knowing the $20 addition helps.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Dablaze View Post
      Same experience, was a bit of a nuisance as I drive down from Canada and it’s hard to time it, but knowing the $20 addition helps.

Craig
      Sorry I wasn`t clear.

I am being told that getting in early is NOT possible this year.

Trying to determine if that is correct.

Comment

Eight and All
        Yes, it is true that only Staff and those helping lay out the vending field will be allowed on the grounds before 8 AM Thursday, July 18. No early vendors or campers arrivals will be admitted.
        This was a tough decision for the Planning Committee, but our volunteer Staff is being overwhelmed by attempting to satisfy early arrivals. What used to be a couple of hours of volunteer work each day has morphed into a week long marathon.
        Those non-Staff members arriving early will be asked to wait for opening time in the public parking lot.
        Please understand that this decision was not made to discourage vendors or members in any way, but to insure the long-term success of the Wauseon National.
        See you all Thursday morning.
        Best regards, Fred Davis
        Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

You have to draw the line somewhere or people will come earlier and earlier each year.

This meet will be on my calendar for 2020! Another commitment postponed my trip this year!
          Craig (Delaware)
          Delaware Bay Chapter
          Perkiomen Chapter
          AMCA Member #1011

Comment

[QUOTE=craig (DE);182046]You have to draw the line somewhere or people will come earlier and earlier each year.

**Yes Craig...and the line forms here. >>> https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzv9vhvB...ns_share_sheet **Wonder who set this Fandango Up?

400c72737fe984ca1d13792cf2c3f350--walmart-fails-walmart-jokes.jpg

*M.A.D.*
            Last edited by JoJo357; 07-11-2019, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Just in case you're wondering? Instagram knocked off the above link for some reason? Checked the Wauseon Walmart facebook and Company listings--and they show Zero information as to confirming or denying this event.
              Here's the select/simple ad some are running on Instagram.

**Wednesday Pre-Swapmeet Sale and Party Wauseon Walmart w/overnight parking for all vehicles.
              **Walmart management confirmed.

*M.A.D.*
              Last edited by JoJo357; 07-12-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I admire Wauseon for their strict opening time. I think everyone should have the same shot at what the vendors bring for sale. I also think it is better for vendors who can get a feel for the market value on items they aren't sure about. I have always tried to share what I have by being a vendor, and making things I don't need, available; but there are sharks out there. I will never forget an early morning buyer (with a flashlight) who didn't like my price on a part. His comment was; "In New Jersey, we give a vendor's discount". . . . Right.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I find the Walmart thing pretty funny if at all true. The meet starts Friday, but as is the new norm, the great volunteer chapter members usually allow non vendors (shoppers) in the day prior during setup. Now that's not good enough, we have the need to meet even before that. My question lately is, why in the hell do we all keep shopping past Thursday if all the good parts can only be had that day. I have no idea why I've walked around for the last 15 years in the Wauseon heat and rain finding parts after that first day. I actually found things I needed after that initial day, imagine that! Damn, now if I start shopping in the Walmart parking lot maybe I can find even better parts. Have we come to this? I sure wish I was a little older (not really) and could have enjoyed the small meets on a doctors' farm trading parts from an open car trunk. I still feel the first day of any meet should only be open to AMCA members. Shouldn't the club members benefit first. The club is always trying to stimulate growth, what a better way, you can't go through the gate unless you're a member, wa lah a new person joins to enter.
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    I admire Wauseon for their strict opening time. I think everyone should have the same shot at what the vendors bring for sale. I also think it is better for vendors who can get a feel for the market value on items they aren't sure about. I have always tried to share what I have by being a vendor, and making things I don't need, available; but there are sharks out there. I will never forget an early morning buyer (with a flashlight) who didn't like my price on a part. His comment was; "In New Jersey, we give a vendor's discount". . . . Right.
                    You mean NY isn't the only place they expect that?? Well, golly gee.
                    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                      I find the Walmart thing pretty funny if at all true. The meet starts Friday, but as is the new norm, the great volunteer chapter members usually allow non vendors (shoppers) in the day prior during setup. Now that's not good enough, we have the need to meet even before that. My question lately is, why in the hell do we all keep shopping past Thursday if all the good parts can only be had that day. I have no idea why I've walked around for the last 15 years in the Wauseon heat and rain finding parts after that first day. I actually found things I needed after that initial day, imagine that! Damn, now if I start shopping in the Walmart parking lot maybe I can find even better parts. Have we come to this? I sure wish I was a little older (not really) and could have enjoyed the small meets on a doctors' farm trading parts from an open car trunk. I still feel the first day of any meet should only be open to AMCA members. Shouldn't the club members benefit first. The club is always trying to stimulate growth, what a better way, you can't go through the gate unless you're a member, wa lah a new person joins to enter.
                      Bob, I like your idea about first day for members. The meet at Oley is getting worse every year with regards to people showing up earlier and earlier before the opening of the meet to pick through parts and find the "good stuff". I use to go on Saturdays but find it is already picked through so I started going on Fridays. This past spring, Friday was going to be a washout so I went on Thursday. I could not believe how many people were already there early Thursday before the meet officially started.
                      Craig (Delaware)
                      Delaware Bay Chapter
                      Perkiomen Chapter
                      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

The first time I went to Wauseon was 30 plus years ago 1987 or 88. We pulled in and parked very early Friday morning, with only one vender set up. It is much easier to plan if there is a definite time that the meet opens. It is discouraging to show up at that time and the place is full and find out the meet actually started the day before. I don't care what day it opens but make a policy and keep to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Minerva View Post
                          The first time I went to Wauseon was 30 plus years ago 1987 or 88. We pulled in and parked very early Friday morning, with only one vender set up. It is much easier to plan if there is a definite time that the meet opens. It is discouraging to show up at that time and the place is full and find out the meet actually started the day before. I don't care what day it opens but make a policy and keep to it.
                          Totally agree with sticking to a start time with no exceptions.
                          Craig (Delaware)
                          Delaware Bay Chapter
                          Perkiomen Chapter
                          AMCA Member #1011

Comment

A Lot of great comments and suggestions here! I suspect that only the greedy, and me me me selfish world of vendors are complaining about this years changes. But, in truth, the contract & Event particulars 'always stated' what is actually being enforced for 2019. Davenport has more vendors than Wauseon, and has been running their program with No exceptions--and they pull it off like clockwork. Also, the public is welcome to enter the Blackhawk meet after only 2 hrs. past vendor sign-in & kick-off on Thursday morning.

Here's my skinny on improving Wauseon: Usually the AMCA has only 3 gates open for Vendor sign-in. Study this map, there are 7-9 separate entrances into the Fairgrounds. When the vendor is initially assigned his #area, then he will be given a gate # to enter at. For example: if you are between 1 thru 150, then you can only sign-in at the gate that is closest to your vending spot. When you receive your map of the event site numbers, the gates will just have to be numbered(1-9) so you'll be able to go directly to your entry. This will immensely free up traffic jams-confusion-and the long waiting in line, plus quicker set-up inside the Fairgrounds. And that means...Happy Hunting!!! Then Everybody is SLAP HAPPY!

Also, cut down on the BS'in at the gates--and move em' in toot-sweet. This also means not hawking all the parts & M/C's being hauled in for sale. Of course, this means...More Volunteers!!! Boy Scout/Girl Scout Volunteers can pick-up extra merit badges for working the gates. Or, probee/prospect new AMCA members, that don't know anyone yet, to run the gates--haha.
                            Image 7-14-19 at 3.22 AM.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 07-14-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

How about opening the gates at 6am on Thursday ? It would be nice to get unloaded and some shade set up before it gets too hot. Its going to be a warm one.

Comment

Working...
                              X