Hartford My Dream vs Honda Dream/RC/CR 110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartford My Dream vs Honda Dream/RC/CR 110

It was suggested that I move my little post about the Hartford My Dream to here, so here goes, with a little more added.

I live in Taiwan and a month or two back I bought a Hartford "My Dream" (125cc) which I am calling "L'antidoto" as it seems to be the perfect antidote to taking life too seriously, and such a contrast to my 1731cc Victory High-Ball.

When I posted previously I mentioned that I had been invited to visit the Hartford factory here in Taiwan, which I have now done. I didn't glean much information about the "My Dream" but it was a jolly interesting visit nonetheless. Definitely it was "inspired" by Honda's "Dream 50" which was Honda's own tribute to their RC 110/CR110.

As I previously mentioned, I have been having a discussion with a couple of the Hartford "My Dream" owners here in Taiwan, and their belief seems to be that this style of motorcycle (the RC/CR 110) was inspired by the British cafe racers. I am disputing that, although I am far from an expert. This, to me, bears little connection to true cafe racers, but fits perfectly into that small engined, lightweight, pretty, racing genre once popular with various Italian and Japanese marques such as some of the Mondials, MVs, etc.

I would be delighted to hear any views, and indeed any information about the Honda RC 110, CR 110, and Dream 50.

(Hopefully) attached is a photo of the Hartford My Dream next to my Victory High-Ball to give an idea of size, and with my wife, who is 4'11", sitting on it...it is TINY!
    Attached Files

Here are the Hondas.

And here are photos of Honda's CR110, RC110, and 50cc Honda Dream.
    Attached Files

Comment

Am I on the wrong site?? Musta clicked on the wrong icon.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Sorry - I thought that Honda's considerable efforts to make the RC110 a success when it was announced in 1961, and raced in 1962, with only one Grand Prix victory, might be of interest, and therefore the link to subsequent tribute bikes might also be of interest in "Parking Lot Chatter" - perhaps not.
        Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
        Am I on the wrong site?? Musta clicked on the wrong icon.

Comment

No worries Llama, keep doing what you are doing. Many of us here love it.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I used to own a Honda 50 Dream but I had the red version. It was a beautiful bike. Top notch craftsmanship and detail. The only bike I ever owned that I bought new but never started. Kept it in my office and just looked at it everyday. Another bike I should have kept. That supper long fuel tank I think was a Honda feature.

I'm lucky as I have a recording of the CR110 and the RC166 250cc six cylinder at the Isle of Man. Plus other Honda GP bikes at speed. 20,000 rpm in 1965. Pretty awesome. I listen to the recording when I'm doing the dishes. Takes away the boredom.

Comment

How wonderful.
              I bought a Honda 50 Dream sales brochure and will quickly photograph it for you - hope it attaches ok.
              Sadly I must admit that the quality of the "Hartford" version (mine) is not so great. I would like to slowly improve it, replacing cheap material/workmanship with better, but I know that I should be more sensible and not get too carried away!

IMG_0948.jpgIMG_0949.jpgIMG_0950.jpgIMG_0951.jpgIMG_0952.jpg

Comment

Thanks. I had a brochure too. Unfortunately I never titled my bike. It was brought to America with a bunch of other bikes in a shipping container with no titles. Bill of sales. It wasn't officially sold in the US.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LLama View Post
                  Sorry - I thought that Honda's considerable efforts to make the RC110 a success when it was announced in 1961, and raced in 1962, with only one Grand Prix victory, might be of interest, and therefore the link to subsequent tribute bikes might also be of interest in "Parking Lot Chatter" - perhaps not.
                  I apologize. I know very little about new bikes and assumed, by mistake, that new bikes were kind of out of the range of discussion at length. Hope you were not offended and got my sense of humor.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                  X