X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 frame identification ①

Hi here、
    any idea..?
    this is a 38 frame I was told. I realized some #s on it... please refer the pics attached.
    S__155131909.jpg S__155140101.jpg S__155140100.jpg
    looks 404.. 202...4... these are original stamp or what? please advice.

tks
    Shin

I have a 1938 frame here with a UL motor in it. Bruce Palmer's book was most useful in dating it. It has the closed end axle clips, no dent under the frame to clear the later 74 cubic inch cylinder heads, and no die numbers on the engine mount forgings.

Comment

Hi Shin. The casting numbers look original Harley but your not showing the parts that will define a 38 frame. Is the left axle carrier undercut in the machining of the axle slide. Does the left axle carrier have a cap tack welded on the end. There's more info that the experts could give but if you post a pick of the left axle carrier and maybe left side of the neck and the cross braces under the oil pump, you'll get knowledge from some of the people who know.
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

The dash/speedo mount has been replaced. Those are also non-standard welds by the rear stays to top tube.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have what I've always believed to be a '38 frame. The left axel carrier has a welded cap at the brake anchor. I don't understand the meaning of "undercut".

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
            I have what I've always believed to be a '38 frame. The left axel carrier has a welded cap at the brake anchor. I don't understand the meaning of "undercut".

Hi Larry.
            If you clean the road grime off the part you have pictured, you will be able to see that instead of a raised axle slide, (the area that the axle slides along) it is undercut. The machinist has cut it away and the machining is undercut into the part.
            Regards Steve.
            Steve Little
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Show a pic of the other side of the left axle carrier in your Post #5. Q is about how it's machined on the other side.
              Gerry Lyons #607
              http://www.37ul.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

thank you guys! any advice about the#s 404..... ? please take a look closely..
                Last edited by hdhikaru; 06-18-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

how about this sidecar loop. looks original to me but no casting#. grind off or repop..?? advice please. Shin

Comment

There is no raised portion at the axel slide. It appears to be as forged.

The inside surfaced is raised.

Comment

a 38 toolbox mount will have rectangular blocks for the mounting bolts where a 36 & 37 are round.

Comment

I think it is the other way around.

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
                        a 38 toolbox mount will have rectangular blocks for the mounting bolts where a 36 & 37 are round.

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
                          There is no raised portion at the axel slide. It appears to be as forged.

The inside surfaced is raised.

Hi Larry. There is a lot of years of corrosion that has mottled the evidence of machining marks. The area where the axle adjuster hole comes through the rib, still has the semi circular pattern of the slab mill that was used during the machining process. Regards Steve.
                          Steve Little
                          Australia.
                          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I have another '38 frame. You can barely see the undercut, but it is certainly there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                              I think it is the other way around.
                              you are correct, i was mixed up. i had to take a look at my 37u & 48el frames again.

Comment

Working...
                              X