No announcement yet.

Another unknown Wisconsin Motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the kind words Eric. This particular clipping was sent to me by a fellow antique motorcycle enthusiast. I can't take credit for finding it. Over the years I have exchanged many research items with other enthusiast. Sharing this type of information is what our hobby is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
      Thanks for the kind words Eric. This particular clipping was sent to me by a fellow antique motorcycle enthusiast. I can't take credit for finding it. Over the years I have exchanged many research items with other enthusiast. Sharing this type of information is what our hobby is all about.
      Information is free. Parts cost money.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

How true, how true, Chris.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

What is it?

Just obtained some new photos. This was taken on an unknown dirt track. Possibly Milwaukee State Fair mile. Pre 1912. Ralph Sporleder is the rider. Looks like Indian handle bar and maybe fork. Is the motor an Excelsior? Ralph was known to ride Harley's starting in 1906 and Indians and possibly Excelsior's. I believe he was the 3rd person to ever win a race riding a Harley-Davidson in 1906. Walter and Perry being first and second.

Thanks
          Attached Files
          Last edited by pem; 07-27-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Looks like 2 header pipes out of a single cylinder head. I agree that the handlebars are U-joint Indian bars and probably Indian forks, and the tank looks Indian. That is a noodle scratcher, Dick.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              Looks like 2 header pipes out of a single cylinder head. I agree that the handlebars are U-joint Indian bars and probably Indian forks, and the tank looks Indian. That is a noodle scratcher, Dick.
              Hi Eric, this photo shows the left side of the bike. It doesn't look like the 1910 Waverley Ralph was riding in Milwaukee. It is not a Waverley motor for sure. And the forks are different. Don't know the exact date of the photo. Ralph made a copy of the 1909 Bleriot monoplane in 1911 and was a finish carpenter his whole life so he had the skills to build or assemble a bike and possibly a motor. The 1911 newspaper article said he was looking for a motor to put in the plane.

The trophy was one of three I got to hold in my hands recently. Earliest was from 1907. They came from Ralph's daughter who passed away a week ago. Hard to believe. The family has trunks of letters and such to go through. The daughter told her grand kids she remembered "those Davidson boys" and Bill Harley. She had an original photo of Ralph on his 1910 Waverley motorcycle that appeared in the Wisconsin Motorist in November 1910. It hung on her bedroom wall her whole life. Oh my, if she had letters from Ralph from his days racing Harley's and working with Perry or Lacy Crolius no telling what we might learn. One can only dream.

Dick
              Attached Files

Comment

I like that pick....I could read and look at all day those 1st gen bikes...

Comment

Looking closer at the 1st photo, I can see that the header pipe has the same radius as the front frame tube. Look forward to hearing more from the Sporleder archives. Hope that works out, Dick.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Ya Badger, I'm going with Indian too for now. Thanks for your response.

Eric, I have to go over the information I received from the grand kids. Ralph's daughter out lived her own kids.

Later

Comment

This is the watch pendant that Ralph's daughter wore most of her life. Here he was on an Indian.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X