Sailors on and Indian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailors on and Indian?

A couple of my Grandfather's Navy buddies posing on an early Indian? Can anybody confirm the motorcycle make and year?Walter's Friends on Pre-15 Indian.jpg
    John Lindberg
    Huntsville, AL
    1941 Chief
    1929 101 Scout

The Powerplus was made from 1916-1922. The shift controls were on the right side of the bike. Clearly, in this photo the controls are on the left. Perhaps this is a 1917 Harley as it looks like there is a tool box on the top of the tank. Just my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by USMA82 View Post
      A couple of my Grandfather's Navy buddies posing on an early Indian? Can anybody confirm the motorcycle make and year?[ATTACH=CONFIG]24890[/ATTACH]
      Indian for certain, but as to the year...I’m only qualified to guess, so maybe 1913?
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

With the leaf spring it looks like an early teens Indian. They had a tool box on the top frame tube that was leather with a sheet metal frame.

Comment

After I got home and blew up the picture on my computer, it looks a 1910 ish V Twin Indian, but with the front fender missing and with the front mainstays to the rockers, it looks like a 1911 with a leather toolbox as suggested above. however, the buckles for the toolbox should be on the left side, and it would show in this picture, which it does not. Maybe the leather toolbox is switched around. Definately Indian.

Comment

I wonder if the photo is a reverse image, I don't know how photos were processed back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldchief View Post
              After I got home and blew up the picture on my computer, it looks a 1910 ish V Twin Indian, but with the front fender missing and with the front mainstays to the rockers, it looks like a 1911 with a leather toolbox as suggested above. however, the buckles for the toolbox should be on the left side, and it would show in this picture, which it does not. Maybe the leather toolbox is switched around. Definately Indian.
              I agree. It's late 1910, or 1911 which were the first leaf spring models, but didn't have the fender tip that was common to later Indians. The handle is a hand clutch which would be on the left side. I also agree about the leather toolbox and the location of the hinges as most bikes of that era had the latches on the right side; but a left handed rider may have turned the box around
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
              X