Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a Sheave for an early Belt drive twin or who's making them ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Sheave for an early Belt drive twin or who's making them ??

Anyone have a Sheave for an early bely drive twin excelsior. I know its a long shot. If not, does Anyone have any tips on who's making them or how to make one ??
    As always, thanks
    Dan

Hi Dan, I'm back in town and will dig out that jig to make a pulley. Any idea the diameter you need?
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Dan, I know Louie has had experience with flat belt drives. Also, I have a friend who is a fine cabinet maker and motorcycle nut and he was asked about making the rear sheave for an 1910 Ex. His plan was to make it out of thin layers of hardwood veneer over a proper diameter buck, using modern high strength, water proof glue. He never did it, but it sounded good

Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Belt pulley pattern made to make pulley for a Miami Power Bicycle. Steam wood strips and clamp and glue, use multiple layers, then work down. Sounds easy doesn't it, I've not done it yet, but this pattern has been used successfully. I don't know what size pulley you are looking to make?
        Attached Files
        Louie
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a rear pulley with belt lagging on it ???
          Louie
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I believe you are right, Louie. I've looked at many early Excelsiors and they did not use lagging. The drive belt contacted the wood sheave. Maybe the builder of that Excelsior in the picture found it better for riding. From looking at old MECO catalogs, there were a lot of products that claimed to cure belt drive problems. I think the bottom line with old motorcycles is, they worked great by original design, manufacture, and when they were new, but time exposed their weaknesses, and progress (unfortunately) made them obsolete.
            Last edited by exeric; 07-20-2019, 06:16 PM.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I re-read this thread it occurred to me that my lawn mower is propelled by belt drive. Unfortunately, that damn thing has been dragging me behind it for years with no sign of slipping.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

I finally got my sheaves back and pretty happy with them. 2 new ones and the original fixed.
                Any thoughts ? I'm pretty pleased ! it was tough to measure the thickness consistently of the original due to contours, age and the rolling of the edges. Any thoughts on what the original thickness or gage of these were ?
                IMG_0817.jpg

As always, thanks
                Dan

Comment

Those look great, Dan. You didn't mention what year Excelsior you were working on so I assumed it was a pre-1911 that used the wood sheave, and brackets. Whoever made them for you did a beautiful job.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

thanks ! these are made out of steel and for a 1913/14 twin. Does anyone know what the original thickness of the steel was ? Made by Dale Stoner of Ohio. I'm very pleased.
                    thanks
                    Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X