Shorted out battery BMW R69s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorted out battery BMW R69s

I screwed up, while I had my 1961 R69s BMW on a charger I shorted out the battery. I didn't find this out until later when the cables to the charger were melted. Later I put it back on the charger correctly and it seemed to charge but, I'm afraid I killed the battery, but not sure yet. It will not start now, even when on the charger.
    What other components should I look at if just replacing the battery doesnt work?

An R69S (or any pre '70 BMW) does not need a battery to run. The ignition is a magneto, not a battery/coil type. The battery just works for the lighting circuit (unless it has a solid state conversion, in which case you are SOL). Hopefully you did not ruin the magneto coil back feeding power to it. The key, when pushed down opens a ground circuit allowing the magneto to fire. Clean your points. Clean your plugs. If the magneto is OK it will run even if the battery is across the street.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you Robbie,
      I have no idea what I was doing wrong but, I gave it a try again today and she started right up. I hate not knowing what I was doing wrong but, I'm not complaining. Also the battery seems to be fine because the lights work same as before.

Comment

Working...
      X