2 more JD's for the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tom,
    Did my DLX originally have a horse shoe float, or is it supposed to be a full round float.
    Cheers

Comment

Cotton,
      I am Australian but have lived in CA and NV for 15 years. I would prefer to buy in the US.

Comment

I forgot what model you have, Mick!

If you found a horseshoe, it would make sense to replace it with one,.
        .. maybe.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have a DLX 66.
          I think this is supposed to have round float on a 1929 JD.
          I also need a bowl gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
            I have a DLX 66.
            I think this is supposed to have round float on a 1929 JD.
            I also need a bowl gasket.
            Anything's possible, Mick!

The Service Station Manual only mentions the horseshoes' different setting.

I'm only guessing,
            But by my Indian lit, it seems they were only for certain HX models.

Yet they are indeed forgiving.

....Cotten
            PS: They had a bowl gasket?
            I thought that was invented much later.
            But I made dies anyway.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

When Cotten rebuilt my local buddy's DLX58 for his '29, it came back with a round float.
              Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
              https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

It is hard to know as different companies seem to use different OEM pt no's for the same part.
                I prefer a round float.
                Are you able to supply this, or should I go to one of the retailers?

Gasket, 1204-21
                Cheers
                Last edited by aumick10; 06-29-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Swan View Post
                  When Cotten rebuilt my local buddy's DLX58 for his '29, it came back with a round float.
                  Round on the outside, Steve!

But the hole in the middle for DLXs was spaced out,.. eccentric.

And there are two sizes of those!

Looking forward to any literature that places a horseshoe upon a DLX.
                  (It won't surprise me much.)

....Cotten
                  PS: Certainly, Mick,..
                  I have bronze-bowl DLX floats ready; Just email me direct at liberty@npoint.net.
                  Postage to CA should be about $4.

PPS: I guess my point here is that any float that floats should work.
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-29-2019, 04:45 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I had a distributor shaft seize up and take out the generator drive gear.
                    Going through my other distributors, I found one that I haven't seen before.
                    20190711_102240.jpg20190711_095024.jpg
                    As you can see from the photos, this has a timer cam in it, no rotor drive flat, but it still has the distributor cap springs clip mounts.
                    It also has a set screw on the side that can lock up the advance mechanism.

Has anybody come across this before.
                    Is it a OEM crossover timer, or has somebody made it up.
                    Cheers,
                    Mick

Comment

Help identifing float needle and seat.
                      I have a bean pot bowl that has the high casting for the needle and seat. The one on the right of the picture.
                      It seems like it should take the Harley OEM # 27382-33 assembly ( Indian 102453) This puts the float at the correct height.

However this assembly has a 7/16" thread, and the bowl I have has a 3/8" thread.

Can anybody help with a pt no for the correct assembly. I don't want to drill out the 3/8 thread to fit the 7/16" assembly.

This bowl is for a DLX 128.

Thanks,
                      Mick20190913_114015.jpg
                      Last edited by aumick10; 09-13-2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

The '40 valve was unique, Mick!

Its on the left, and earlier Scheb valves don't fit.

The Marvel part number is 233-550, for 34-60 valve, and 36-191 seat.

Indian's number was 102162

Good luck,

....Cotten
                        PS: The last one I opened was wrapped in newspaper with want ads for "colored cleaning ladies".
                        I was raised by such.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-13-2019, 04:09 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks Tom,
                          Jerry Greer has them listed.
                          I am amazed how many early carbys have been stripped and lost all the parts. I hate seeing incomplete items.
                          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
                            Thanks Tom,
                            Jerry Greer has them listed.
                            I am amazed how many early carbys have been stripped and lost all the parts. I hate seeing incomplete items.
                            Cheers
                            What's worse, Mick,..

Are the "beanpot" reproductions shown on ebay with a float installed upside down.
                            Some totally whacked for OHVs...

(Contrary to popular legend, they do NOT have a larger volume than Linkerts!)

....Cotten
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-13-2019, 03:38 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Where I come from, the float is correct, it is the bike that is upside down.

Comment

My 29 JD is up and running, almost ready to road test.
                                Still some OEM parts to chase up if I can find them.I have a complete OEM 1929 front guard and valances, but it needs some major surgery.
                                I will have to learn how to tig weld again at some point. The same with an OEM primary cover.

I would like an OEM battery box if anybody has one they want to get rid of. Also an OEM rear chain guard.
                                Still looking for the impossible to find 1929 rocker towers.

It has been a steep learning curve to identify what I had and what was correct for a 29.
                                It has been fun checking the parts books, asking questions, surfing the net etc to find out the information I needed.
                                Thanks to the guys who helped me with parts and information.

Currently building a package truck for it, as can be seen in the photos.
                                I couldn't find a frame no on it, but i think it is a 1928/29 M model. Does anybody have any ideas on what year it may be?

This frame came with a 1930 LT sidecar fitted to it by welding in new spring mounts on the rear cross bar.
                                I had to cut these off and clean up the frame so I can return it to a m series.
                                Currently set up with a 1930 front mount, but this throws out the tow in, so just another part I need to find.

I have some of the check strap parts, but will probably have to make the rest.
                                Does anybody have a good photo of how the rear check straps attach to the rear shackles?
                                The wheel was rusted into three parts but have salvaged the hub and will get a new rim and spokes.
                                I have a good OEM fender for it.

I have a lead on some 10 leaf spring packs that I am thinking of using to carry my 1926 JD with. I will see what happens.

20191016_165453.jpg

Seeing as this bike is made up of parts from different parts, probably 95% OEM, I think it is a good candidate for a full restoration.

Comment

Working...
                                X