License plate holder/bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License plate holder/bracket

Hi- did HArley ever produce a bracket for holding the license plate- see pics from the rear fender/luggage carrier on my 1916 model. Drilling two holes through the carrier is not my preferred solution.
    IMG_2846.jpgIMG_2847.jpgIMG_2848.jpg

The Sol rear light removes some options and the light can in principle provide upward lighting for the license plate

Best
    NilsR

I'd simply use a couple P shaped wire loom clips and hang the plate off the resr of the luggage rack. No drilling required.

Comment

NilsR, I have a '16 J, and my favorite Harley-Davidsons are the '15-16 series of singles, and twins. Your bike (from what I can see) looks like a beauty; could you please post some pictures of it? I found an Old Sol catalog I have, and there is a picture of a license bracket. Old Sol didn't make license brackets but you can see how it could have been done. I suspected that license brackets were an aftermarket item in those days as I could not find a H-D made license bracket in my factory catalogs. Harley did not make gas lights and those were sourced from the buyers preference, hence the license bracket was also aftermarket. I didn't look in my MECO catalogs, but there may be some examples there. John's suggestion is a good one and was probably commonly done because license plate dimensions in those days could vary considerably by state.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        John's suggestion is a good one and was probably commonly done because license plate dimensions in those days could vary considerably by state.
        Or country !
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks- have experimented with p-clips but need to find the right type- couldwork i gather although would be good to have more fastening points. Willpost more pics of the bike- has a National side car.

The sol version seems very prone to vibrations of which there is cupios amonts available on these earlybikrs

Best
          Nilsr

Comment

It always amazes me what you can find on this forum. Thanks Eric, for sharing.

Comment

Working...
            X