1934 Chief Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 Chief Timer

I am in need of what I will call the timer that sits to the rear of the of the oil pump on the cam cover or I may have to make one so if anyone has a picture that would help.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

try Kent in NH phone 603 585 6933

Comment

Thank you but I called him and he does not have one.

Comment

Tom Cotton posted a pic of the special cam not to long ago.I havent seen a complete one and I was looking for along tome.
        I also thought of making one using the late model distributor lobe ,removed and fittetd to machined cam shaft,but got my mag working.
        I asked Kent about 25 years ago.
        Tom

Comment

I hoped that wasn't 'special', Tom!

Now Steve does too.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten,I should have said rare.People are special.
            Tom

Comment

The 1935 Chief used that timer as well. A good friend has a '35, and managed to round up those parts. I'm not sure, but I recall the gear cover was unique to the timer set-up as well. You probably know all that, Steve.

Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Nice pic of the timer.34 cylinders and heads,35 or 38 clamshell valve covers.The coil is also a hard to find item
                Tom

Comment

Tom, was the gear cover different, or just machined for different applications? My friend had a tough time finding a coil, and had to cast the Bakelite section and fit it to a good coil. He also made a correct year battery shell. I've tried many time to get him to come on this forum and share what he learned about the '35 Chief. He has no problem bugging the hell out of people when he needs information, but doesn't think he needs to share what he's learned. Otherwise, he's a nice guy
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Hey Eric,The cam cover was unique to the battery ignition model for the 34&35.I am not to familiar with earlier.It has hole for cam shaft bushing and cam ,which has the points cam lobe on it, and a machined flat surface with 2 drilled holes to mount the timer and has the small lug for adjuster screw advance stop and hole behind pump to secure the outer cable..
                    The mag cover has the bulge for the cam bushing in a blind hole.Easier to plate off a battery cover for a mag than vice versa.
                    I think a HD wasted spark coil would be a coil option.
                    Tom
                    Last edited by tfburke3; 04-12-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and Eric thanks for the photo I guess I will keep searching but I know the parts are drying up.

Thanks Again

Steve

Comment

a friend of mine made a few of these points-covers (the ones which Kent Thompson had for sale) I can check what I still have left in parts for the 1934 battery ignition. One picture shows the correct timing cover for the 1933-35 battery igniton Chiefs.
                        Attached Files

Comment

that is the braker plate - it is either an early version or misses one part that stabilizes the plate agains the timing cover. Have the other or complete version too, but no pictures on hand at this time.
                          Attached Files

Comment

gsottl,

Thank you very much for the pictures as this helps. If I could bother you for some measurements that would be great or you have anything for sale. If you do not I understand.

Thanks Again

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, I need to check what I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X