Ammeter 1941 Sport Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammeter 1941 Sport Scout

I lost the bezel and glass from my ammeter on the road some where.
    I got the old one out of the dash to try and just size it up for replacing the glass and bezel. I found that it is a plastic and very cheep looking ammeter.

Should I just replace the whole thing with something else?
    If so what should I look for?

I hate to put it back in to find out later I'd be better off with something better.
    Thank You

Jerry Greer has a correct reproduction of the '41 SS ammeter. If you don't care about that, I would measure the hole in your instrument cover and look for one on ebay that is the right diameter, voltage, and amp range.

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...d=020ASPT39-41
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% sure but I think the original for a 41 SS is the Hoyt ammeter.
      I found one of those for $99.

Comment

Resto guide shows the Hoyt.
        Tom
        Last edited by tfburke3; 04-11-2019, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          Resto guide shows the Hoyt.
          Tom
          Thanks Tom,
          Can you tell me what "Resto Guide" you are useing? I need to get one of those.

Comment

Indian motorcycle Restoration guide 32-53 by jerry Hatfield.
            The pics of ammeters andyear listings are little confusing and some things in t hebokare not always correct.Same forJerry Greers Indian listings.
            Tom

Comment

The pics of ammeters andyear listings are little confusing and some things in t hebokare not always correct.Same forJerry Greers Indian listings.
              Tom
              Sounds better than what I have now. I'll do a search for it thank you.

Comment

The pics of ammeters and year listings are little confusing and some things in the book are not always correct. Same for Jerry Greers Indian listings.
                Tom
                Right! Greer's has the Conn. Tel. ammeter listed for 1941!
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks Tom and Harry,
                  Are you guys in agreement that the Hoyt is correct for 1941 Sport Scout?

Comment

Hoyt is correct for 1941.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      Hoyt is correct for 1941.
                      Yes, I'd go with Hoyt, agree with Tom and Eric on this. You know Greer's is pretty darn good, but I trust Hatfield's research more (even though I have a document with 8 pages of corrections to the Restoration Guide, first edition, but the ammeter for '41 was listed as Hoyt in the Guide and not corrected!)
                      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Interesting that the Resto Guide pic says 41-through early 46.
                        A just listed as 41 Hoyt on ebay shows basically the same gauge however the ebay listing has 2 rivets above the Indian script,whlie the pic in the resto guide shows 2 screws lower before and after the script on the center line thru the script.
                        Were there actually two versions of the 41 gauge?Generally I thought screws to hold the face were an indication of a repalced face or repro gauge.
                        I think the ebay listing looks more original the the resto guide pic but I dont know.
                        Tom

Comment

I have a genuine Hoyt ammeter from a '41 dash assy. The face is riveted as Tom described in the above post.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                          X