Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I looking at, 'cus I have no clue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I looking at, 'cus I have no clue..

Snagged off the Web, Folks!

It said HD but looks a lot like a Chief I had..

Is the cylinderhead 'bored' assembled and torqued?

...Cotten
    PS: Good trick!
    I did some Lycomings once't. No I didn't.

PPS: Thanks in advance as always..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-07-2019, 05:23 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

ID grinding of a cylinder bore, probably at a few thou taper.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Those are Powerplus cylinders. Single piece cylinder and head casting. Large threaded plugs screw in above the valves for access. This same design was used on the Chief through 1926, removable heads came in 1927. The Scout used the same design but went to removable heads in 24 or 25 I believe.

Comment

So the heads are integral!

(Like Lycomings...)

It made me think they were bolted on for fastener stress distortion, but the early design eliminates all that.

Many thanks to Everybody,

....Cotten
        PS: Honing a taper is tedious!
        AMCA #776

Comment

Here's another one that has me clueless, Folks!

(Sorry its post '30, but the carb design is earlier.)

What did Rollie Free have around his Schebler at Daytona?

Thanks in advance of course,

....Cotten
          Attached Files
          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            Here's another one that has me clueless, Folks!

(Sorry its post '30, but the carb design is earlier.)

What did Rollie Free have around his Schebler at Daytona?

Thanks in advance of course,

....Cotten
            Ahhhhh Yes--That’s “Chickadee” Cotten. That record breaking 1937 Indian Sport Scout is a stock M/C under AMA rules regarding the standing mile runs on the Daytona Beach course. So the carb would be a stock DLX-107.
            As far as the insulator wrap shield around the carb, that is for cooling and keeping salt and sand out of the carb, since the front fender was stripped.
            Despite the race course being choppy, and had crosswinds of 14-17 mph, Rollie still broke the Petrali H.D. 45’’ class C by 9.5 mph in 1938.
            I was fortunate enough to buy Jerry Hatfield’s wonderful book called…”Flat Out!” The Rollie Free Story. Bought it in 2007, a Great Read, a shame it is a fortune to buy currently!
            3-8.jpg >>>AMA Boss E.C. Smith & Rollie Free's victorious record breaking hand shake. This photo was also an Indian promotional for the Sport Scout's, except the celebratory 'hooch' in E.C.'s back pocket was blocked out!--haha.
            3-1jpg-cmyk-wide.jpg >>>"Skin To Win".

*M.A.D.*
            Last edited by JoJo357; 04-09-2019, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
              ... So the carb would be a stock DLX-107....
              It looks like a bronze bowl to me,*M.A.D.* !

And the chokelever looks funny, too.

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-09-2019, 10:25 AM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                ...As far as the insulator wrap shield around the carb, that is for cooling and keeping salt and sand out of the carb, since the front fender was stripped.
                When would you need to keep a carb cool, *M.A.D.*?

I'm easily confused..

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
                PS: I get it now!
                The front fender directs air around the front cylinder like the old 'blow out the candle behind a bottle' trick,.. but its gone, right?..

Or is that a stinkin' Linkert hidden under that shroud?
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-09-2019, 06:21 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Haha, maybe E.C. Smith was half in the bag and didn't do a tech check on ole' "Chickadee!" Or...he hated Harley-Davidson as much as Rollie did!!! Hard to tell Cotten, but i would say it was a Schebler carb hidden behind that shroud. Rollie was hell bent on breaking ANY record held by the Motor Company. He only had a few chances at it also, and elected to run when Daytona Beach had 17mph crosswinds & a Lousy beach surface. In "Flat Out", Rollie explained that H-D waited till they had ideal race conditions to make their runs. So, i imagine Free had to use every trick in his book to pull off a win. Keeping gas cool keeps it from becoming vaporous. An old trick was to put aluminum foil on the gas lines. Stripping that heavy front fender was 2 fold. Lost some legal weight, but then the tire kicked up sand & salt. Rollie had a difficult time keeping the throttle pegged also, because of the rough track. I would say that he made a few trial runs, and then compensated, which might vaguely explain the...'mysterious shroud'? Or, it may be as simple as just a precaution to keep anything from entering the carb on a sanctioned one shot run. It's kinda like the infamous bathing suit Vincent salt flat runs. When Free's 1st run was short of the 150mph mark, only then did he strip down.
                  winchester-1910-motorcycle-worlds-most-expensive-32.png.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 04-09-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I thought "vaporous" was what fuel was all about, *M.A.D.* !

Can't buy the cooling theory, sorry;
                    By the way, is manifold icing real?

Its a Scheb HS knob for sure {but they fit Linkerts, too}.

That smells like an M21 bowl.
                    More reserve?

....Cotten
                    PS: The Linkert is just shy of 3/16" fatter inside than the Schebler "long" bowl.
                    Perhaps reserve is why later potmetal Scheblers added the shoulder beneath?
                    (Bottom left is the 'short' bowl that preceded the 'long', top right in attachment.)
                    For 1940, bottom right, they equaled the Linkert capacity.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-10-2019, 01:14 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

[QUOTE=T. Cotten;179768]Here's another one that has me clueless, Folks!

I believe that statement is becoming slightly rhetorical Cotten. A good natured haha.
                      I don't totally believe the gas cooling theory, although it's a proven fact that cold gasoline works best at heat ranges where fuel is most unstable *(high rpm). It has been proven in Formula 1, drag racing and airplanes that cold gas produces more power than warm gas.

I can relate the similarities in regard to sPeEdWaY Racing Motorcycles. Here's a couple of pictures without & with the carb cover. The purpose of the cover was to protect the carb from any foreign materials--but mostly dirt, and also to keep methanol temps consistent. Also, it directed excess heat from the cylinder, away from the carb. Racing is a mix of Superstition-Luck-Skill-Knowledge & Improvising. Take your pick Cotten, and get a good night sleep. (-:
                      jawa-dt-500-speedway-ex-ivan-mauger-bike-3.jpg >>>Personally, i ran both setup's, and didn't notice much difference.
                      s-l1600.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                      Last edited by JoJo357; 04-10-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=JoJo357;179844]
                        Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                        ...it's a proven fact that cold gasoline works best at heat ranges where fuel is most unstable *(high rpm). It has been proven in Formula 1, drag racing and airplanes that cold gas produces more power than warm gas.
                        Its denser, right, *M.A.D.*?

Cold air makes them jump too.

(Come to think of it, if you've got cold air, you've probably got cold fuel as well, huh.)

If a warm carb sux ponies, they should have fins!

....Cotten
                        PS: Can't see your pics...
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-10-2019, 03:13 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Mercedes bought into Chrysler corp & added an air cleaner to the Dodge viper like MB used.It took incoming air & ran it thru plastic tube about 21ft to heat the incoming air.It added 25% to the viper horse power.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                            Mercedes bought into Chrysler corp & added an air cleaner to the Dodge viper like MB used.It took incoming air & ran it thru plastic tube about 21ft to heat the incoming air.It added 25% to the viper horse power.
                            Interesting Duffey. I found this because of your post...

**Owners of this racing sleek two-door sports icon love the powerful V-10 engine whose performance can only be enhanced by the Viper Dodge cold air intake. An aftermarket tube system attaching to the engine, the part allows for cooler air to be sucked into the engine replacing outgoing overheated air. It also allows more air to enter the engine system, increasing capacity. The supercooled air contains more oxygen particles translating into increased engine combustion capability boosting horsepower and drive.

**A product of quality engineering design, the Viper Dodge cold air intake increases fuel efficiency by creating greater combustion values due to the cooler oxygen molecules replacing hot air. It's a major benefit to drivers who love the energetic engine power of the Dodge Viper. One of America's favorite performance accessories, the cold air intake must fit the particular year, model and make to be effective.

Hot or cold, i'm sure they all have their merits if applied correctly. I know my air cooled M/C's always run healthier when it's cooler.

*M.A.D.*
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 04-10-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I smell snake oil.

.....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X