Dragonman engine rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonman engine rebuilding

Has anyone heard of Dragonman's engine rebuilding in Colorado Springs, Colorado? If so, any reviews on his work?
    Thanks

Any ideas from anyone would be all after watching his videos. There are a couple of things that kinda worries me like using a power hone to bore cylinders and not borring the cylinders with a borring bar, using grinding stones on the valve seats to get a 2 angle valve job when he has a nice head machine and putting new seats in with a Bridgeport and not using his head machine.

Here is his deal and his shop.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Pylvb5ZXo
    Last edited by ryan; 04-04-2019, 07:09 PM.

Just do a search on the internet, you will find a wide range of horror stories going back for decades.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

On wow! Lol I ran across him the other day and the machines and work he claims he does not add up. He sure squeezed several people. Also the way he tries flywheels with dowel pens. I think I read somewhere that his wife was blown up and died.

Comment

He wasn't always like that. I met him in 1968? and sold him my '57 panhead which became Dragon Bike #2 (the first was his '48). His first wife was JoAnn Cass, don't know how they split up. His "prospect" at the time was Brendan Manning, who would become the President of Hell's Angels Long Island. He worked out of the Cass garage in Gibson, then bought a house in Amityville. Mel was a Pagan briefly.
        He still owes me money.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Sorry to hear that! It sure looks like he has money now.

Comment

The Dragonman rebuilt 32E generators and offered them on an exchange basis. I got one from him in the late '80s, and it's still healthy, and on the job
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Once upon a time, Folks,...

Long, long ago...

A fellow wanted to sell me some cracked '65FLH cases.
              He said he knew somebody who could fix them. That's when Mel was in Amityville.

They came back with the belly numbers welded over, and the original numbers cut'n'pasted in.
              By the time I figured out it was a liability, Mel was in Colorado, but I got 'restitution' from the middle man.

The authorities took the cases to Colorado, where the FBI nailed him when he signed for them.
              The middleman was sent to testify, and he said the courtroom looked like a swap meet with all the evidence, and a full audience in colors.

The defense lawyer was Columbian, and Mel was demanding me.

He got off of course, and I still have a complete '65 without cases.

.....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

30 years ago he gave a quick turn around on truing a Sportster flywheel assembly I mailed him, and for a reasonable price. But when I measured them on receipt they were out of spec.

Comment

The question used to be not "can they do good work?", but "will they do good work for you?".
                  Two different answers way too common.
                  The Linkert Book

Comment

A local once brought me some cases Dragon repaired, Folks,...

And Dragon had welded and machined over one of the tappet feed galleries.

Just one, though...

....Cotten
                    PS: The cases were also suddenly too close to each other to accept flywheels.
                    I had to grind a main race thrust face for clearance, and to center.
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-08-2019, 10:54 AM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                    X