Valve seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve seats

Has anyone replaced the valve seats on a Sport Scout? If so, where did you find the parts?

Thanks

Easier: oversize valve.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

can you clean the seats up ? there is very little room on a Sport Scout, that intake
      is mighty close to the bore?

Comment

I tried that. Lapped them twice. When I pressure test the intake, bubbles come out around the valves. Big problem is the engine was built with 45 degree valves. Stuck with them as the seats are like you said. I took them to the man that helped and he said they put gas in the ports and if thy didn't leak, he built the motor. With gas, they don't leak. Put the cylinders on and the intake doesn't leak. Wil lfinish next week.
        Thanks
        John W Weiss

Comment

that sounds good I think, good luck. If still have problems, you could try a valve seat cutter too - but I think you will be good to go

Comment

Hi John, I realize this is an old thread but here are some square base scout cylinders I replaced the seats in. The seats are universal hardened high chromium units from Kibblewhite, I forget the part number but can pull it off the packaging of the others I have in stock. They were bored for .005 interference fit and staked in as an additional measure. This is a good way to cure the common cracked cylinder wall/ valve seat area as shown in the pics. Unfortunately after this operation you need to fleece the cylinder as the new seat protrudes into the bore slightly, they were later cut to the correct 35 degree seats with a 5 angle valve job. In this pair of cylinders the exhaust size was reduced to 1.625 Sorry for the crummy photos, I had to grab them from a video on my phone

[RESIZE=300]IMG_2634.jpg[/RESIZE]
            [RESIZE=300]IMG_2636.jpg[/RESIZE]
            [RESIZE=300]IMG_2638.jpg[/RESIZE]
            [RESIZE=300]IMG_2635.jpg[/RESIZE]
            [RESIZE=300]IMG_2637.jpg[/RESIZE]
            Last edited by ClassC Dan; 02-27-2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

IMG_2639.jpg

and one more photo

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I had seats put in in December. The guy that did them said what you said. He makes his own seats.
                He did all my machine work when I raced quarter midgets. I will try to attach pictures.

John W Weiss

AD092FDE-CE00-4354-8500-CB1463291781.jpgFA17DFB9-2FC0-4522-B7E1-2266120D532C.jpg

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Working...
                  X