Tachometer part# 92051-65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer part# 92051-65

I have a complete tachometer correct for my 1969 flh, but I am hesitant putting on my bike because I have to drill through my headlight bucket. Any opinions and will it hurt or add value?
    Thanks

I have to drill through my headlight bucket
    No you don't.

Comment

Boy I'm glad to see that, I sure heard wrong then. Is there a cable with a 90 degree bend that fits under the tach mounting bracket? The cable I have does not seem to fit, part# 92062-6SA.

I have this bracket:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Har...QAAOSwfiZca7CA
      Last edited by ryan; 03-18-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

How are you trying to mount it?
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I am bolting the bottom of the tach to the top of the bracket. The bracket then bolts to the handlebar clamp cover, but I have not drilled any holes yet. I ran the cable between the handlebar clamp and the nachelle headlight bucket.
          Last edited by ryan; 03-18-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Where does this word nachelle come from? Harley-Davidson called it a housing.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              Where does this word nachelle come from? Harley-Davidson called it a housing.
              PickyPickyPicky, Chris!

It's spelled 'nacelle'.

My question is: What color are the indicator lights supposed to be on which side, and how many holes in each side?

(For '65 ha ha..)

....Cotten
              PS: Thanks in advance as always...
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-19-2019, 02:07 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                PickyPickyPicky, Chris!

It's spelled 'nacelle'.

My question is: What color are the indicator lights supposed to be on which side, and how many holes in each side?

(For '65 ha ha..)

....Cotten
                PS: Thanks in advance as always...
                I post with a kindle which has auto correct and changes the spelling of words it thinks should be there, hence nacelle to nachelle. Maybe the use of "nacelle" upsets the aircraft members. I just wanted to avoid the question of having the correct headlight assy.

My 1969 FLH has a red light on the left and a green light on the right. My 77 FLH has two toggle switches on the right.
                Last edited by ryan; 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Kindles don't sound friendly, Ryan!

Seems few nachels are poked the same.

A fellow who worked at the Factory in '65 told me that some of assembly was often left to the Dealer.

"As left the factory" requires a crate.

....Cotten
                  PS: Late edit..
                  My '65s have the square-brooched hole for the tach drive. I coulda had one more toy!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-19-2019, 05:47 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yes, the kindle is a pain sometimes.
                    I have distributor cable adapter 92097-65. My tach needs the aluminium glass ring replaced. I have one, but would rather send it out somewhere just in case of whatever.

Comment

I used to drill my magneto shafts on my strokers, press in a chopped off speedo drive end, rob a drive unit off a BT or Sportster timer, drill the mag cap, and run H-D mechanical tachs right off the shaft end with a Sportster cable ( I ran the tach in the dash, no speedo). Worked great, but I used up a few of those tachs over the years. And I have no issues with the word "Nacelle", I own Pre-Unit Triumphs and other Brit nacelle wearing bikes.
                      Last edited by Rubone; 03-19-2019, 08:09 PM.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It looks like the cable should have a 90 degree bend at the tach end. I guess the cable could be wrong, but who knows.
                        Last edited by ryan; 03-19-2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I don't see any part or number referring to any 90 degree bend in the parts book. Any that I have seen the nacelle was drilled so I'd be curious on this finding. Here is my 68 with a hole just big enough to fit the cable through in the nacelle.

Last edited by murph; 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM.
                          1959 XLCH

Comment

Hey thanks Murph for the confirmation! Great looking bike! I changed both my gauges to SW with bulbs. I have a temp gauge, but do not want to drill into the head. I suppose I could use an earth ground clamp.

Comment

I have this Tach Drive if anybody needs one.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X