6 volt lithium batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 volt lithium batteries

I am considering 6 volt lithium batteries and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and if so which ones are the best, thanks for all your help, Larry

Larry, Lithiums are good batteries in general but require a constant, regulated voltage between 7.2-7.4Vdc (check OEM specs for requirements) or 14.2-14.4Vdc for 12V systems. Stock 3-brush gennies will not properly charge a lithium as the voltage/current will be in and out of range as the RPMs change. I've seen some converted to a 12V 2-brush gen with a good solid-state regulator. Shorai is one brand and has a lot of details on their site. William

https://shoraipower.com/en/
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wideglide38 View Post
      Larry, Lithiums are good batteries in general but require a constant, regulated voltage between 7.2-7.4Vdc (check OEM specs for requirements) or 14.2-14.4Vdc for 12V systems. Stock 3-brush gennies will not properly charge a lithium as the voltage/current will be in and out of range as the RPMs change. I've seen some converted to a 12V 2-brush gen with a good solid-state regulator. Shorai is one brand and has a lot of details on their site. William

https://shoraipower.com/en/
      how about the sealed 6v batteries like used in kids "power wheels" toys & alarm systems?
      they are dirt cheap. i run them in my HD s125 lightweights.

Comment

The 6V sealed lead-acid AGMs (Absorbed Glass Mat) accept a broader voltage range compared to the Lithiums. I run AGMs in my pans: one 3-brush w/ V-Tronics relay & the other 12V converted thru a cycle-electric gen/regulator setup. I try to find the largest Ah (Amp Hour) AGM I can find.
        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

hello larry my opinion on those sealed batterys they work well around town go on a hundred mile ride they will overcharge burn up the points and leave you walking harley makes a 6 volt made in vietnam they work for years they can absord the voltage best or get a lead acid jap bike battery as big as will fit hard learned lesson on my part have a great day paul bergeron 7989 ps sold olive trw to you ?

Comment

Paul that is what I run and have for years and in many bikes as well and I get about 5 years out of them which is the norm now days for lead acid batteries. I can also go a mile to the HD shop and order them and have them in a couple of days. It about the only reason besides 60 wt oil to go to the HD shop. Compared to those lithium and other batteries they are cheap too. IIRC they are running about $72-75. I run B38-6A in my VL's and 36 Cheif which is what older BMW's run but they fit the battery box if you leave them in the cardboard and help protect the battery and battery box.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy

AMCA #12766

Comment

Where do you get the B38 6A?I always got the mine at Interstate,but they don’t seem to have them anymore.

Comment

Amazon has Yuasa brand dry for $50.00 or a brand called Everlast for $40.00 that includes the acid pack.
                Everlast? Is that like the old "Lifetime" clutch cables?

Comment

Amazon as said or some bike shops that deal with older BMW's will have them. Apparently that is what they used. I also got some from Rat way back.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA 12766

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info, Paul good to hear from you

Comment

Virtually any japanese bike shop will carry the Yuasa brand.

Comment

The 6V sealed lead-acid AGMs (Absorbed Glass Mat) accept a broader voltage range compared to the Lithiums. I run AGMs in my pans: one 3-brush w/ V-Tronics relay & the other 12V converted thru a cycle-electric gen/regulator setup. I try to find the largest Ah (Amp Hour) AGM I can find.
                        I love mega moolah free play very much

Comment

Working...
                        X