38 chief pinstriping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 chief pinstriping

I need some gold pinstripes when I finish painting 38 chief,ppg concept ss black.
    Eastwood has singleshot sign paint in "metallic gold" and "Imitation gold".
    I think the imitation gold is probably closest but dont know.
    My intent is to stripe topcoat by hand with some tape and magnet strips(what could possibly go wrong) and no clear,maybe something over the headress decals.
    Any advice on pinstripe paint , color match,technique or suppliers appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom

I think One Shot is the best stiping paint because it has such a high pigment content; and professional sign painters, and stipers can't do a second coat, hence One shot I've done a number of stiping jobs with One Shot metallic gold and it is difficult to get a good result. It's not the fault of the paint, but more the painter. Gold is easily the most difficult paint to work with. I have seen the 'imitation gold' and it looks okay and I agree with you that it may look more like the 'gold' that Indian used on their broad stripes at that time. Toney Watson had a late '30s vintage Indian tank that had been stored in a dark, protected environment and I noticed that it had more of a dull sheen, as opposed to the glittery pin stiping I've seen on other bikes. As a side note. In the teens, and '20s, Harley-Davidson sold a (clear, or white) sizing, that was stiped on a fender or tank, and then gold, or silver powder was dusted on the sizing while it was still tacky. After the sizing dried, the residue was wiped off, and a coat of copal varnish was applied. I can only assume that people had a lot of free time, and patience back in those days
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for input Eric.I think when I shoot the color I will make some test panels to practice.
      I only have one original pinstripe tool box to go by and the stripes dont look metalic.
      The paint on the box and stripes are very thin,like one thin coat and no primer.
      Thanks again
      Tom

Comment

Working...
      X