Fork slider leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork slider leaking

At the bottom of the early style (49-77) fork sliders there is a steel insert pressed into the bottom of the slider. It has the flat sided hole in it to index the threaded shaft end of the damper. My slider is leaking around the outside edge of this insert. Between it and the aluminum body of the slider. My question is can I press the insert out and then reinstall it with some type of sealer? Has anyone seen this before? Thanks

If you press it out, wouldn't you make the fit looser? Perhaps better to try to seal it from the inside?
    VPH-D

Comment

I believe there is a paper gasket that is supposed to go in the bottom of the slider to seal that.

Comment

I used the paper gasket with some sealer on it but no luck. I was thinking about using locktite bearing retainer on the pressed in piece when I put it back in.

Comment

Originally posted by dustydog View Post
          I used the paper gasket with some sealer on it but no luck. I was thinking about using locktite bearing retainer on the pressed in piece when I put it back in.
          Do all you can, Dustydog!

But first get your strongest cheater glasses and a flashlight, to inspect closely to make certain there isn't a crack or porosity.
          Damage where the shaft indexes to the leg is common after impact drivers were invented. And please clean it all twice at least.
          There's a small paper gasket inside the cup too, I think.
          (46111-48)

I used to turn the entire assembled leg upside down (no oil of course), and then generously applied a sealer all around the nut and its counterbore, letting it seep in and cure before turning it right side down and filling it.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-15-2019, 02:05 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks, yeah I need a microscope these days. I thought the same as you Cotton but I can’t see anything. I didn’t press the insert out yet. I just put a bead of bearing retainer around the joint. When that dries I’ll regoop everything and put it back together. I’ll put the oil back in tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

You have both gaskets fresh on hand, right Dustydog?

Punches aren't hard to make if you have a lathe..

...Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yeah I have a good supply of those. When this bearing retainer sets up it should seal. I hope. I’ll tell you what happens.

Comment

I believe that steel insert with the flat side is cast into the aluminum slider? Hard to believe it could leak.
                  Usually a leak at that location is cause by the surface where the larger of the two gaskets seats being improperly prepped. I have a tool made from a bottom cup with a long wooden dowel pressed into it and some scotch bright on the bottom to clean the gasket surface. No sealant required if both surfaces are properly preppped and cleaned. Hard area to get clean.

Comment

I have replaced 46128-48 washer with a home made larger copper washer and sealant and found good results to help stop leakage. The thin copper will conform to any irregularities.

DSC06136.JPG DSC06137.JPG Correction, part # 46128-48 is the insert with the flat, it has an outside straight knurl which I believe would have been pressed in not cast in. I guess I just added a copper washer where there was none before. Nevertheless, it helped stop leakage.
                    Last edited by BigLakeBob; 03-16-2019, 07:24 AM.
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                      I have replaced 46128-48 washer with a home made larger copper washer and sealant and found good results to help stop leakage. The thin copper will conform to any irregularities.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24164[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24165[/ATTACH] Correction, part # 46128-48 is the insert with the flat, it has an outside straight knurl which I believe would have been pressed in not cast in. I guess I just added a copper washer where there was none before. Nevertheless, it helped stop leakage.
                      I think you had it right the first time bob.
                      46128-48 is the external washer that goes under the nut. I believe they were originally copper or possibly aluminum? There is no part number for the piece that has the flat and I'm fairly sure it is cast into the slider. 46111-48 is the piece that has the larger gasket under and small gasket inside and the damper tube fits into and then protrudes thought the hole with the flat. It's that larger gasket surface in the bottom of the slider that must be squeaky clean to seal.

Comment

That sure looks like the insert to me Bob. It has a knurled edge just like mine. I don’t think that is an external washer. I thank everyone for the great advice and suggestions. I really like the scotch bright tool idea. Still waiting for the bearing compound to set up hard.

Comment

Originally posted by sswaney View Post
                          I think you had it right the first time bob.
                          46128-48 is the external washer that goes under the nut. I believe they were originally copper or possibly aluminum? There is no part number for the piece that has the flat and I'm fairly sure it is cast into the slider. 46111-48 is the piece that has the larger gasket under and small gasket inside and the damper tube fits into and then protrudes thought the hole with the flat. It's that larger gasket surface in the bottom of the slider that must be squeaky clean to seal.
                          I am going to have to disagree. The picture I show is 46128-48 (the part with the flat and knurled on the outside) which I have two of and are in unopened packs from HD, unless they packed them incorrectly. In my '65 and '76 orig HD parts book 46111-48 is a paper gasket, not the piece the gaskets go against, that part # is 46121-48, Lower Bushing. I do agree they should be sealed from the inside not out, but a small copper washer doesn't hurt.
                          No disrespect but where are you getting your part #'s sswaney?

What I find amazing (just like on older vehicles where the cotter pin is all that really keeps your front wheel from coming off) is that a 5/16 nut on a shaft with short threads is all that keeps your forks together. Apparently it works! Good luck with the sealing dustydog.
                          Last edited by BigLakeBob; 03-16-2019, 11:50 AM.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

My apologies Bob. You are correct as I totally missed the photo of the "washer" you posted. In fact until right now I never realized it was removable. But I believe my point is still valid. That washer has nothing to do with sealing the slider from leaking. It's the gasket that matters here. And while we are on the topic, I do use a copper washer at that location but only to help seal around the stud, similar to the ones used to seal the banjo style brake line bolts.

Comment

I grabbed some of these from Bills. Knurled on one side with a taper on the other. The parts book shows it at the bottom of the assembly.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X