Excelsior Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior Hub

Found this looking for some Super X books in the cabinet maybe of use to someone with great machinist skills, out of my wheel house!!!!!!!!!!!K-7400.jpg

That's interesting. I actually own the original linen drawing, and I am looking at it right now, and I see the same creases, and drawing anomalies that are unique to that actual drawing. I didn't know I made a copy of it, but obviously I did. There is an interesting story about where, when, and who I got that drawing from that I learned about later on. I did make a hub for an Excelsior owner, and used that drawing. You can't get better than that
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Its gotta be priceless info to somebody, 26fhead!

Thanks for sharing it, saving it for History for All of us.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Eric,

Sorry if I should not of posted this as I do not remember where I got it.

Steve

Comment

No problem, Steve. The drawing was designed to convey detailed information. I think it's cool that it can still do that, and hopefully it will help someone. . . Excelsior owners need all the help they can get
          Last edited by exeric; 03-09-2019, 07:04 AM.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

If you made it to Eustis or New Smyrna Beach I hope you found some treasures, wish I was there!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Comment

Steve, I live in Sarasota which is about 180 brutal, bloody miles from the horse ranch. I went there on Friday for a specific part that was waiting for me but in retrospect, I should have had it sent to my house. Florida is apeshit this time of year, but this year is the worst tourist season I have ever seen. I guess the weather is really bad in the mid-west, and north-east because they have come here like an invading army. If you do go the Florida meet in the future, make your reservation somewhere North-West of Daytona, or come down in a camper and get there early. And this is the important part. . . Don't go near Orlando; pure hate, and gridlock. I grew up in Orlando and when I was a kid it was a beautiful place. It is now the ugliest, meanest, most God awful place in Florida.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

My brother moved to Ormond Beach in 1990 and I remember during the week I-95 very little traffic at all, now bumper to bumper all week. I-4 total gridlock now avoid at all cost take the Beeline, my brother could get to work when he first moved in 20 minutes before he retired 45 minutes. I have not been to Eustis since 2000 and probably won't go back. I live in Indiana and hate the cold but I can at least ride a bike and not get run over. The Wife and I had planned on moving to Florida at one time, even had a piece of dirt in Palm Coast but sold it.

Take Care Steve

Comment

Steve:
                  thanks for sharing and all the information ! Very helpful ! Has anyone ever seen a drawing for the rear hub ?? Am I correct in saying that there was a few variations of the rear excelsior hub ?
                  thanks
                  Dan

Comment

Dan, I don't think the basic dimensions of the Excelsior double brake hub changed, but I have seen early rear hubs that had more narrow spoke flanges, and smaller spoke holes. The 1915 Excelsior used a Mussleman hub, and 1916 and later were in house Excelsior hubs. I haven't seen a rear hub drawing, but I would suspect that the hub was beefed up when the Excelsior offered the military fork, and in anticipation of the heavier Henderson. My parts books show the following rear hub shell #s:
                    XE 3783..........Series 16
                    XG 3783..........Series 18-19
                    XK 801............Series 20
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

That is a very easy hub to produce. Half the legion is cut off to read the material. Is it made of wood? Just kidding, the reason being is because it is in fractions and not in decimals.

I would love to see any old prints, recreate them in in 3D software and catalog them on this site before anymore gets lost to history. It would be nice to have this kind of stuff available and have a more of working website.

Comment

Ryan,
                        I am reasonably new to the pre 30's bikes. I have a couple of 20's JD's that I will be bringing back to the road. One of the things I have trouble with is the assembly order of parts.
                        I have often considered generating exploded views of the bikes as I go through them, to work with the parts books that are available. There is some sectional views available for a lot of the early bikes which help.
                        Unfortunately, I can do a 2D Autocad drawing in minutes, but to put it into 3D is not something I am good at, or isometric drawings for an exploded view. When I had to pass of my designs to other people to build, I hired people to generate the drawings.
                        I considered buying a 3D scanner, but being recently retired, I am not sure I have any time to do this. Too busy learning how to operate the hot tub.
                        Cheers,
                        Mick

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                          That is a very easy hub to produce. Half the legion is cut off to read the material. Is it made of wood? Just kidding, the reason being is because it is in fractions and not in decimals.

I would love to see any old prints, recreate them in in 3D software and catalog them on this site before anymore gets lost to history. It would be nice to have this kind of stuff available and have a more of working website.
                          Actually, directly under the title 'Front Hub Shell (to the left) it say '2 7/8" C.R.S. [cold rolled steel]. From a production/money point of view, fractional dimensions mean the machine shop doesn't have to hold 3 place decimal tolerances, so the part isn't high precision, or high dollar. However, the ball bearing housing bore is held to a tight tolerance of +.000 / -.001. If you only want to make 1 hub shell, make it as accurate as you can. If you need to make 20,000 hub shells, you have to cut a few corners
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,
                            I sure did miss the cold roll steel call out. The fractional drawings still do not make sense from a machining point of view. The machinist would have to convert every fraction to decimal because the machines read in decimal. From a production point of view, this would not fly because it would take up too much time and they sure didn't have calculators. As far as the tolerances go, the draftsman could call that out in the legend by the number of decimal places.
                            As far as just having this print around is amazing. I went to the AMA motorcycle hall of fame museum several years ago when they were featuring Henderson motorcycles and there were complete model production drawings hanging on walls. I was amazed when the museum told that the complete engine drawings were just found within 20 miles of the museum.
                            I know a guy that fast and machined a Henderson KJ cylinder head. He redesigned the ports an rode on the cannonball a few years back. He said it really woke the bike up and he could ride hills in 3rd when the other Hendersons had to drop to 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
                              Ryan,
                              I am reasonably new to the pre 30's bikes. I have a couple of 20's JD's that I will be bringing back to the road. One of the things I have trouble with is the assembly order of parts.
                              I have often considered generating exploded views of the bikes as I go through them, to work with the parts books that are available. There is some sectional views available for a lot of the early bikes which help.
                              Unfortunately, I can do a 2D Autocad drawing in minutes, but to put it into 3D is not something I am good at, or isometric drawings for an exploded view. When I had to pass of my designs to other people to build, I hired people to generate the drawings.
                              I considered buying a 3D scanner, but being recently retired, I am not sure I have any time to do this. Too busy learning how to operate the hot tub.
                              Cheers,
                              Mick
                              Mick,
                              3d modeling software, like Autodesk Inventor for instance, is an easy software to use compared to autocad. The initial use is a bit backwards if you already know autocad, like I did. Once you get the hang of it, you fly right through the 3d drawings. When you complete the model, it generates the 2d prints for you or you can generate the 2d views yourself by call out and drag and drop.
                              I know we where there is a barn fall of JDs stacked almost to the loft. They are really stuffed in there. I need to go back and visit with him a while.
                              Take care

Comment

Working...
                              X