Bobber ok but mine has wrong everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobber ok but mine has wrong everything

I don't go to AMCA events or classic motorcycle events very often because I get sick and tired of hearing my 35 Chief is the wrong shade of red, wrong headlight,spokes are not cad plated etc. The real pisser is when I ask what they are riding I get," mine are 100 point or survivors and they are in the garage". The last one ripped me and then got on his Ural and rode away. I have had mine for 36 years, I find it quite stunning and more importantly to me, my wife loves it and is ready and waiting in the sidecar before I have finished my preflight. It attracts a crowd at car and motorcycle show and I can preach old bikes and collecting and tell people to get involved in antique bikes, American or otherwise.
    But what really chaps me is when they rip my beautiful but not 100 percent correct bike, then swoon over a bobber, often a restorable classic that was chopped and stripped and that is o.k. Holy crap! I get the art form and history but really?
    I bought my bike from an old gentleman from our antique car club when I was 23. It was beat and ugly but I rode it hard. I started restoring it and met my wife to be. She was not sure about motorcycles. As I prepared to paint it I was struggling with what colors. I understand Indian red and if building a red show bike, to be judged, it better be. I personally wanted red and have had a 36 ford fire engine. I was prepared to go Indian red and my wife said, it is yours, paint it the shade you want! She chose Viper Red and I loved it. I know, shock and awe, but it is a stunning red. As far as things like cad plating, finding the proper headlight, proper side car springs, it came down to money. I Wanted to buy a house, have a child and want to retire someday so those items are on the back burner. So I built a rider, a beautiful rider that can win motorcycle shows, just not AMCA shows and I am ok with that. I will repaint it and do a cosmetic restoration in a couple years, and I will take it back to original colors, likely blue or green and likely cad plate spokes and such in that I can afford it now. But I Would still never AMCA show it. In the mean time what you see is what you get. I ride it, pull the sidecar body and haul lumber, take trash to the dump, Get groceries and enjoy it.
    So do you all go through the same thing? What do you feel about customization to your likes vs 100 point original? Prefer a bobber to a less than original restoration?

Hi Chris,

I already tried to respond to you once but it seems I've done something wrong. If both responses show up all I can say is oops!

In any case I've been an AMCA member since the early 1980's and have brought all sorts of bikes to Wauseon and Davenport and it's a rare occurrence that someone offers unsolicited comments. Most people will simply admire the machine and only comment on originality if I ask. None of my bikes would do well in the AMCA judging system but that's not my attraction to old bikes in the first place. Perhaps you're hanging around a bunch of elites and/or perhaps you're being overly sensitive. My advise is to ignore the comments and enjoy your bike.

I'd like to see some other pictures of your 35. Here's a few of my 36 Chief.001.jpg004.jpg

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Finger-pointing is what the AMCA is all about, 35Chief!

Mine are all worn out.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Steve, I am not to sensitive, just gets old, I am like you, I just like old bikes, cars airplanes, just wondered what others get grief for. There is a line between personalized, custom and stock. And Cotten I would I would be honored to get my bike once overed by you, worn out fingers and all!

Comment

image.jpgMt Washington

Comment

image.jpg Indian Ladies

Comment

Originally posted by 35chief View Post
              .. And Cotten I would I would be honored to get my bike once overed by you, worn out fingers and all!
              Don't be silly, 35Chief!

I can't even finish my own '34.
              And yours is certainly more AMCA acceptible.

My spotlamps were cut from fence post caps.

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              AMCA #776

Comment

Just go to Road Runs. Everything is built to what a person wants to ride and I have never gotten a bit of grief over incorrect stuff. Nothing I own is factory stock, nor ever will be since it is mine, not the factory's. As for finger pointing, the bigmouth needs to look in the mirror.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  Just go to Road Runs...
                  Robbie sez "Let them eat cake".

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I think your bike is great! At least you ride and enjoy the bike. Most of the antiques I see, the owners do not even know if they run of not.

And Cotton, .......fence post caps, I love it!

Comment

We have several significant interest groups in the AMCA, and they don't always overlap much. I'm thinking restorers/judges, people with 'just a rider', and the Road Run group. I'm a judge and a restorer, with part of my future pension tied up in showroom bikes because that's where the money is. But I've probably got most miles on my '34 Harley bobber and had most fun on it. I've done road runs in FL, PA and TX and the crowd there will have non-judged bikes that they know are reliable, and I don't see many of them at the swap Meets. But we have crossovers - look at the 1934 VL which is coming up on its one hundredth Winners Circle award. Or the 1936 VLH Winners Circle bike loaned to me by the then Texas Chapter President for their Road Run two ago, then returned to him 500 miles later, muddy and soaking wet from that rainstorm on the last day. Only about a third of our membership belong to Chapters, so maybe two thirds are less active and enjoy the magazine. We shouldn't criticise Road Run participants or bobber owners for having non-showroom bikes, and likewise shouldn't say that judged bikes are just Trailer Queens. But old vehicle clubs attract cranky individualists and it's hard not to...

Comment

If all bikes were restored to 100 pts they would all look alike save for the color. How boring would that be. One factor that people seem to disregard in this hobby is the bikes history, which is often stripped away. Though I understand if a persons goal is to build a “perfect example” of a certain model they possess, dont fool yourself.. in most cases..its already been done.

Comment

35Chief - I think you got some great answers to your comments and they really say what I would say. Personally I think its okay for individuals to feel good about their own work but unless asked I don't think they should offer criticism. But the world is full of unsolicited criticism. I'd hate to think you would attend meets because of this. That's one of the cool things about the Cannonball Endurance Run, you get the feel of the ancient machine but safety features are added that customize and otherwise antique. Keep enjoying your 35 Chief antique.

Mike Love

Comment

Thank You all, I appreciate the comments, summers on the way!! Ride-m don’t hid-em!
                            I can say one of my favorite things is to let the right person try kick starting the bike, such a small percentage have ever tried it and that is one less kick on my old worn out knees! Great way to turn on( or maybe off) someone to older bikes.

Comment

You have done nothing wrong. A bike is a personal expression. Here's what I've had to say in another thread.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...789#post175789

Comment

Working...
                              X