1948 Triumph T3 production numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Triumph T3 production numbers?

Does anyone know a source for how many 1948 Triumph T3's were produced? There is scant information on these bikes. And, as I now own one, am trying to gather information on this nice little 350cc 20190208_110014.jpgpppbike. Any leads, sources, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I reviewed The Complete Book of Triumph Motorcycles 1937-today by Ian Falloon, ISBN 978-09-7603-4545-03 for the club magazine. It has a lot of detail, with production numbers for the later bikes but not the earlier ones. On the 1948 3T model it says it is basically the 5T twin cycle parts fitted with a long stroke 350 cc motor. Colour is black, frame numbers start 3T, engine numbers started 47-3T-79046. Johnson Motors imported them, but the model was never as popular as the 500 twin. Only three 3T deluxes were sold in 1951 and the model did not appear in the 1952 line-up.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Am trying to fill in some blanks on my recently purchased 3T. A few people told me there weren't many produced, so was attempting to get a handle of the approximate number. Many thanks to anyone out there who can help point me in the right direction. Doug20190216_145316.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sprangerny View Post
        Thanks for the information. Am trying to fill in some blanks on my recently purchased 3T. A few people told me there weren't many produced, so was attempting to get a handle of the approximate number. Many thanks to anyone out there who can help point me in the right direction. Doug[ATTACH=CONFIG]23945[/ATTACH]
        Here's a photo of the '48 T3 [ATTACH=CONFIG]23967[/ATTACH. Still sorting out a fast idle at running temp with the 275 Anal carb.20190219_152323.jpg

Comment

Sweet looking machine. The British Vintage Motorcycle Club, at www.vmcc.net have a fine library, and inherited most of the UK motorcycle build records when the Science Museum had a clear out. For a fee you should be able to get a copy of the build record and where/when it was first dispatched, perhaps Johnson Motors.

Comment

Steve: the VMCC was helpful. Sent me a nice looking sheet that tells when they were built, shipped and who it went to. But nothing else. I've asked if they knew the total production #s, but so far haven't heard back. Regards, Doug

Comment

Working...
            X