Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 Panhead FL - AMCA judging and white wall tyres

Hi Guys

I believe these wheels have aftermarket spokes and nipples but I'm not sure about the rims yet, as I haven't removed the tyres.

According to Palmer, whitewalls were not available via Harley until the 50's, though they were available as aftermarket in the mid 40's. Does this mean that, according to judging, you would be marked down for whitewalls, and would I be better off fitting aftermarket black tyres?

In the judging notes, it says, 'Type and Style unrepresentative of Original'

Thanks,front wheel.JPG Greg

Does this mean that, according to judging, you would be marked down for whitewalls, and would I be better off fitting aftermarket black tyres?
    You will be marked down, all 48's came with black tires, Coker has reproductions.

Comment

Judging from the small photo you posted, whitewalls are not the only points deduction I see. Safety bead rims, repop fender, star cover hardware, stainless steel spokes, are what jumps out at me.
      Last edited by jwl; 02-17-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Sadly enough the AMCA does allow stainless spokes. Too many people complained that they couldn't find new spokes in anything else. A period accessory that does not replace an original part is allowed. Whitewalls replace original type tires and are not allowed.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Yes, ss spokes are allowed. There was a time when amca wanted you to lightly bead blast them to take the shine off of them. Is that still the case?

Comment

I am new to the antique world and bought a 58 yesterday. The spokes are original and I was told should be replaced. I plan on making it as original as possible but will be riding her. Can you please tell me the type of replacement spokes that should be used and if I have to blast them as said above? Thanks

Comment

I am new to the antique world and bought a 58 yesterday. The spokes are original and I was told should be replaced. I plan on making it as original as possible but will be riding her. Can you please tell me the type of replacement spokes that should be used and if I have to blast them as said above? Thanks
              Original spokes were cad, however they get dirty if you ride your bike much which is why some guys like stainless as they clean easier, both are available.

Comment

I would clean the originals and have them re cad plated. They should not be that hard to find used either and cad plating is not all that expensive.

Comment

John,
                  Stainless spokes must be blasted to avoid a deduction.
                  VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                    John,
                    Stainless spokes must be blasted to avoid a deduction.
                    VPH-D
                    Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X