KH with KR heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KH with KR heads

I was told that some early KHKs had KR heads from the factory due to a a shortage of KH heads (heads were not done for the early models or they just didn't make enough). Can anybody confirm this or is this just gossip. Also is this why production numbers were so low for the '55 KHKs. Any info would be helpful this is my first K Model and I'd like to be as educated as possible.

Never heard that.
    Not likely, the KR chamber volume is much smaller.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

Do KHKs take a long reach or short reach plug? Do the casting numbers end with -52R on both heads?
      Last edited by Flathead fathead; 02-13-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Howdy, did you ever check out this site Flathead fathead?

www.harleykmodel.com

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 02-13-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Never heard of or have seen anything to remotely suggest that. As far as production numbers there were actually quite a few 55KHK models relative to overall KH production. Same in '56. Several things to keep in mind. There was a worldwide recession going on in the mid '50s, even H-D big Twins sold as low numbers in those years. And the K series was not as big seller for H-D as they would have liked. My 55KHK is a relatively early production number and has normal KHK heads from the factory. I am the third owner and every bit of it pointed to no changes from original parts (other than the Indian Scout pistons in it!) and a blown out transmission case!!
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I checked the K Model website no info but I did register and will ask there. As far as production numbers I found a couple sites that said there were only 449 KHKs made for 1955 compared to something like 1600 made in 1956. (Of coarse I can't seem to find those sites this morning) 1956 was the year of the famous Elvis photo, I'm sure that didn't hurt K Model sales. I don't know how many people owned this thing before I got it so who knows what's been changed, but all the numbers would indicate an original early production model.
            Last edited by Flathead fathead; 02-14-2019, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              Never heard of or have seen anything to remotely suggest that. As far as production numbers there were actually quite a few 55KHK models relative to overall KH production. Same in '56. Several things to keep in mind. There was a worldwide recession going on in the mid '50s, even H-D big Twins sold as low numbers in those years. And the K series was not as big seller for H-D as they would have liked. My 55KHK is a relatively early production number and has normal KHK heads from the factory. I am the third owner and every bit of it pointed to no changes from original parts (other than the Indian Scout pistons in it!) and a blown out transmission case!!
              Scout pistons? Interesting.
              I heard years ago that Gravely tractors used
              a piston dimensionally the same as a K.

Comment

The Sport Scout Bonneville piston's compression distance may be similar to the K (the standard Scout is to the 45) because of the pop-up design, but +.130" oversize at 2-7/8". The piston pin is of course smaller.
                The Linkert Book

Comment

The cylinders were so thin the spigots were like paper. Cylinders have been since replaced.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Production numbers for the KHK; 1955=449 and 1956=714

Comment

Originally posted by Flathead fathead View Post
                      Do KHKs take a long reach or short reach plug? Do the casting numbers end with -52R on both heads?
                      Usually, short thread. A prior set of heads had plug inserts that were fairly long; so, it made sense to use long thread plugs with those heads.
                      George Tinkham
                      Springfield, IL
                      www.virmc.com
                      AMCA # 1494
                      1941 Indian 841
                      1948 Indian Chief
                      1956 H-D KHK
                      1960 CH
                      1964 BMW R69S
                      1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                      X