Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to guard against theft when riding, parking to eat or visiting an attraction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to guard against theft when riding, parking to eat or visiting an attraction.

I plan to ride my 47 Indian a lot this summer (after 26 years). I will admit to being a little paranoid about the motorcycle thieves. I have it insured for theft, but I don't want it to happen. I have looked into GPS trackers, iPhone alarms, on board video, etc. Is anyone using these devices?

Thanks
    Larry Gibson

Two crack heads, one pick up and three minutes. MOTORCYCLE GONE! Chains and cables make there job easier. Gives them something to grab. Unless your riding with a pack don't bother. GPS tracker? Unless the cops in the area are set up for It?. They don't shoot horse thieves in this country anymore. Sucks!
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

There are some very small GPS trackers that can easily be hid inside the tool box that will at least allow you to pin point the motorcycles location with GPS at that point you'll need the Police (or Robert Luland) to actually go in to apprehend the culprits.

When I ride I always keep a line of sight to my motorcycle when I stop and ride with others who can help with keeping an eye on my bikes.
      Last edited by Green Indian; 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM.
      AMCA # 3233

Comment

"Police to actually go in to apprehend the culprits"

BS fantasy!
        Just what you want. Chasing you motorcycle over the country side hoping the other end isn't packing. What you got to ask here is, how big are your balls?
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
          Two crack heads, one pick up and three minutes. MOTORCYCLE GONE! Chains and cables make there job easier. Gives them something to grab. Unless your riding with a pack don't bother. GPS tracker? Unless the cops in the area are set up for It?. They don't shoot horse thieves in this country anymore. Sucks!
          Yea antitheft devices are more hassle than its worth to me. It would take away all the fun. Forget it and just ride it and enjoy but it doesn't hurt to use common sense if you are in a known high crime area. Your biggest concern should be starting it in front of a crowd when you come out of a restaurant.
          I have an AGREED VALUE insurance policy that will allow me to buy another in equal condition should something happen. We can get attached to our bikes and I'm attached to mine but reality is its just a machine. All the guys I ride with, no one uses antitheft for day trips/riding. If you are out overnight somewhere staying in a hotel that's a little different. In that case you could chain it to a pole or other bike if it makes you sleep better.

Glad you plan to ride the bike!
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

In primitive times I made an alarm from a toggle switch to mercury switch to horn hidden between my Chief's tanks. The horn wasn't very loud compared to a house fire alarm and didn't have latching relay to keep on, all you had to do was set it back on stand to shut off. The best thing is never leave it out of your sight which means any restaurant without a window seat gets passed. I have been looking at real time mini GPS trackers also so let us know which one you choose if you get one. They won't prevent a crime from happening but may provide the opportunity for an anti-crime lesson. Ride safe.

Comment

My wife had theft concerns leaving my 59 tr3 in a Watkins Glenn hotel lot overnight.I told her to look around the lot and see that our car was most likely the least valuable car there.
              You will be in a similar situation with the chief so why worry.
              Tom
              Last edited by tfburke3; 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Install a Gatling gun with 20 foot proximity detection sensors and there shouldn’t be any theft! Don’t forget the key fob to deactivate upon returning!
                Attached Files
                William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Get a really nice and friendly "guard dog", Folks!

Then they steal it instead.

....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-06-2019, 03:40 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Most reflect my feelings. The last time I rode out west (in 1992 to South Dakota from Indiana) We camped right beside the bike except for one night in a motel where I left the curtain open and parked the Indian right outside the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                      Yea antitheft devices are more hassle than its worth to me. It would take away all the fun. Forget it and just ride it and enjoy but it doesn't hurt to use common sense if you are in a known high crime area. Your biggest concern should be starting it in front of a crowd when you come out of a restaurant.
                      I have an AGREED VALUE insurance policy that will allow me to buy another in equal condition should something happen. We can get attached to our bikes and I'm attached to mine but reality is its just a machine. All the guys I ride with, no one uses antitheft for day trips/riding. If you are out overnight somewhere staying in a hotel that's a little different. In that case you could chain it to a pole or other bike if it makes you sleep better.

Glad you plan to ride the bike!
                      Good advice! Just curious - Why is starting in front of a crowd after coming out of a restaurant the biggest concern?

Comment

Why is starting in front of a crowd after coming out of a restaurant the biggest concern?
                        Embarrassment Factor!!
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by larrymgibson View Post
                          Good advice! Just curious - Why is starting in front of a crowd after coming out of a restaurant the biggest concern?
                          For sure. The chance of your bike NOT starting is directly proportional to the number of people watching. My bike always starts reliably almost like the sun coming up....but when bystanders are around asking questions, and when you get on to start they are watching intently for the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat.
                          A couple years ago wife and I emerged from a restaurant to find a nice group of folks huddled around looking at the bike. Some arrived on other bikes while some were just sightseers. After the usual questions were answered I got on to start and they were all waiting to see and hear it start. Being distracted I misjudged residual engine temp and picked the hot start method vs cold. WRONG. I knew I was SOL after a couple kicks. Finally one of the Harley guys felt sorry for me and said here let me give you a push down the street. Of course it started. That brought a new level of humiliation to me.
                          Jason Zerbini
                          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

A coupla decades ago, Folks...

I did a Knuck for a fellow who 'commuted' from Oak Park to downtown Chicago occasionally.

The valet kept an eye on it.

....Cotten
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-08-2019, 12:34 PM.
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I do like the suggestions of line of sight vision to your bike. That doesn't help of course with the lodging question if you will be asleep part of the time. In regard to trackers, they work and the company you use to do the tracking and reporting back to your device charge a monthly fee. Not sure if they have a feature you can use if say you don't need the tracker every day, cause who wants to pay for it when your not using it. The other thing to know is that the tracker has a limited battery life so once it is done it doesn't give off the signal so you can't delay. The trackers work well and you would want to have the app for a smart phone or ready access to a computer. You also need to spend some time getting very familiar with the software because its not necessarily intuitive. You hope the thieves aren't smart enough to look for a tracker and then transfer it to something like a taxi cab or UPS truck that can lead you on a wild goose chase and still not find you bike.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                              X