stop the rust - 1936 sport scout wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stop the rust - 1936 sport scout wheels

I'm looking to put a scout back together. I don't want to paint over the orig paint. I just want to slow the rust down. Any advice?

Thanks

1936sportscoutwheels.jpg

I would recommand to use some kind of rust converter. We have Fertan over here in Europe which turns rust into a solid darkblueish/black surface that absolutely does not hurt the looks of you bike in particular at what is mostly the inside of your rims.....https://fertanusa.com/

Comment

I use a rust converter called OSPHO. It turns the rust into a black paintable surface. Available at hardware stores and paint stores.

Comment

Personally, I don't use OSPHO anymore because it is still acid, and I really don't trust it inside inaccessible places. I believe in mechanically removing rust, and then using an etching primer. Apparently you are trying to stabilize the inside of a wheel rim that will never be seen, so invest some elbow grease and remove the rust that you can get to with wire brushes, sandpaper, or whatever, and then isolate any residual rust with a good etching primer, and tough primer barrier.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Morris Lubricants in the UK has a product just for this application. Early brass car guys that have barn find finishes us this and coined term English oily rag finish.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Comment

Hi, I like the rust converter too. It is quite effective and in my case I used it on the 45’s engine fins that started to get rusted. Hagman’s rust converter is the product I recommend and left the surfaces black a d shinny. It completely removed the rust.

Comment

Originally posted by epazikas View Post
                Hi, I like the rust converter too. It is quite effective and in my case I used it on the 45’s engine fins that started to get rusted. Hagman’s rust converter is the product I recommend and left the surfaces black a d shinny. It completely removed the rust.
                I think you all have only partially answered Edgemonts question! What about preserving the original paint.....no one has addressed that and removed rust....check Morris lubricants....

Comment

White vinegar, and then mayonaisse, Folks!

"Period correct".

....Cotten
                  PS: It goes without saying, that after the prep and rub-down, everything gets hot Johnson's.

PPS: I really, really miss the original Lemon Pledge.
                  (snif)
                  *sigh*
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-29-2019, 02:11 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                  X